Canning bell peppers

• 11 Replies

Harry998

Canning bell peppers
« on: July 09, 2023, 14:46 »
Hi all,

Does anyone see an issue with oil oven canning bell peppers? We have tried pickling them but don't like the flavour and a pressure canner seems excessive just for peppers.

I know in general "oven" canning is frowned upon but I figure if they are in oil I can guarantee getting a botulism kill?

I'm thinking along the same lines as the guides on this website for syrup canning fruit in the oven but using olive oil instead
Any advice welcomed

Thanks,
Harry

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Canning bell peppers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 15:56 »
I think if I was trying to preserve peppers of any kind for long-term use (example, later use in a pasta sauce, etc.), I would try freezing.  I have frozen sliced Serrano chili peppers before, that worked very well as a spicy pizza topping (used sparingly).  I also made hot sauce from jalapenos, and froze the sauce in ziploc bags, with the sauce spread flat; that worked VERY well.

Except as pickles, I have not heard of canning them. That may be an option, but I would go for a canning method that is documented as safe.  The "...botulism kill?" has me worried (question mark emphasis is mine). I have no basis for understanding if canning them in oil would do anything to prevent botulism or any other form of spoilage/food poisoning.  I'm not saying you are wrong, but unless you can document (for yourself) that what you are planning is safe, why risk it?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 19:34 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Harry998

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 19:20 »
Thanks subversive_plot I will freeze a few next weekend and see how they turn out, I had thought about but assumed the water content would be to high.

120 Deg c is normally accepted as the reliable kill temperature for botulinum ( hence needing a pressure canner for low acidity foods ). Im working on a theory that if they go into the oven at 130 with temperature checks they should be ok but as you say it's risky without any testing

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 09:11 »
What do you want to use them for eventually?

If you do the cooking now, then freeze, that can work very well. These freeze excellently (and safely!)-

ratatouille
tomato & pepper pasta sauce
soup

wighty

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 16:30 »
We often buy bags of reduced peppers, slice them and freeze.  Handy to get a handful out when you need them.  Sometimes you can get lucky and find bags of sliced peppers, mushrooms and red onions greatly reduced at the pizza bar in Morrisons (especially if you just happen to 'drop' in on the Eve of that special day later in the  year).  When the first lockdown happened our neighbour knocked on o ur door and handed us two large bags of each as they were clearing out the restaurant part that she is the manager of and had been told to take it or throw it away.  Kept us going for a couple of months.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 09:10 »
We often buy bags of reduced peppers, slice them and freeze. 
Can I ask, do you freeze them to begin with as separate slices spread out on a tray? Thanks.

wighty

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 16:54 »
No, we just slice them and bag them up.  They are quite easy to break off what amount you need.  Fruit is about the only thing I open freeze. 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 17:26 »
We often buy bags of reduced peppers, slice them and freeze. 
Can I ask, do you freeze them to begin with as separate slices spread out on a tray? Thanks.

That's what I did with Serrano peppers, spread them (sliced) on a tray to freeze, afterwards I put them in a zipper seal bag.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 21:24 by Subversive_plot »

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 13:16 »
We roast then peel them before freezing. Chillis are frozen fresh, whole.

wighty

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 17:36 »
I have a carrier bag of chillies, all colours, in the freezer.   Why did I grow some more this year.

Harry998

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023, 08:42 »
Good morning all,

Thanks for all the responses. I've got a few in the freeze to see how they get on.
Ideally we are trying not to use the freezer ( also trying dried beans and peas this year ) but safety has to come first obviously!
Going to try a few different recipes for pickling then as well and see if we can find something that doesn't affect the original flavour as much

Happy harvesting and thanks again,
H

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023, 09:18 »
I haven’t made this, but it is from a River Cottage preserves book written by Pam ‘the jam’ Corbin that I use a lot.  You can trust Pam with her recipes in my experience  :)

Makes about 750ml but she estimates this with asparagus - I think peppers will probably pack down smaller

500g griddled asparagus or char grilled peppers
300ml cider or white wine vinegar
2 big garlic cloves sliced
1 tsp peppercorns
Herb sprigs of your choice
100ml lemon juice
400-500ml olive oil

-Bring the vinegar and 200ml water to a boil and keep warm and put the freshly char grilled peppers into this for 3-4 minutes.
-Put the garlic and peppercorns into jars, pack the peppers into these and add a couple of herb sprigs to each jar. Add lemon juice equally amongst jars, then top up and cover completely with oil.
-Keep 6 weeks in a cool dark place before eating, eat up within 4 months and put opened jars into the fridge.

question
Canning jars for Tomotoes (steam canning)

Started by seascape on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 09:38
by Patricia
xx
Need to know more about canning

Started by Comfreypatch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post September 14, 2014, 18:59
by LotuSeed
xx
Canning

Started by niknik on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 11:40
by niknik
xx
UK Canning Equipment

Started by gerpsych on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:25
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 48 queries.