strawberry beds

• 3 Replies

jambop

strawberry beds
« on: May 13, 2020, 19:15 »
I have two strawberry beds with plants that are both into their second year. The are doing nicely and have a lot of fruit. I have heard that the third year is when they should be pulled out and the bed replanted. I am not sure whether to let them both have the third year and then replant or pull the plants out of one after they have finished this years fruiting? This would mean that one bed in future years would be into their second and probably best year as the other is being replanted and thus probably have a better spread of fruiting plants? What do the strawb growers think?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: strawberry beds
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 19:24 »
I'd certainly let them have a 3rd year.  You're not replanting into the same space, are you?  Strawberries can get replant disease, like roses.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jambop

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 19:37 »
 I was going to but since you mention it they can be put into another bed. In fact I may do that plant up another two beds this year and strip the others after fruiting next year.

Allan-25J

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 22:15 »
I took over an allotment several years ago and there was a strawberry field in it. 3 meters wide and 10m long absolutely packed. Had a massive crop from it the first year and a so so crop the second. The punch line, my second year was the 7th or 8th year from when it had been planted [depending on who I asked]. I was also told the guy mulched it with horse manure. You can get more than 3 years from strawberry plants if you look after them.

xx
Strawberry beds

Started by goodier on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 18:59
by goodier
xx
Ants in strawberry beds

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 11:06
by Yana
xx
Raised strawberry beds

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2015, 21:32
by Mrs Bee
xx
Walking strawberry beds?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 22:27
by Trillium

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 28 queries.