What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2018, 22:39 »
Got the Borlotto and Soy beans sown in pots and finally got my cauliflowers out in the beds, the modules were chock full of roots! Also got my Kohl Rabi planted out, so nice now after 3 years at the plot that I can now move the soil with my hands to plant out rather than have to trowel heavy clay into submission! The compost and Greengrow have really transformed my soil.
Also pleased to see that the toms are finally starting to put on some growth, gave them a feed as a treat.
S5000405.JPG
S5000407.JPG
S5000408.JPG

gstrong

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2018, 20:21 »
Had 20minutes after work so earthed up the tatties that have been showing throug & pulled out a few weeds :-)
Nice when it's warm and the sun's shining :-)

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2018, 09:05 »
Got soaking wet from couple of hours of planting on plot, the wife thought I was mad. At least I did not have to water them in.

Wilf

« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2018, 11:26 »
Also got soaking wet, and the wife said I was mad too... spent time earthing up the early potato’s and deweeded around the onions. Going up later to cut some asparagus for tonight’s tea, and will probably end up weeding again...

Notty1975

« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2018, 16:51 »
Spent the day pulling up thick red carpet and the underlay from my plot to the main path what a job all intwined with thick weeds and couldn’t just pull it up as it went under the adjoining planted plot carpet is a big no no for me

snowdrops

« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2018, 17:26 »
Spent the day pulling up thick red carpet and the underlay from my plot to the main path what a job all intwined with thick weeds and couldn’t just pull it up as it went under the adjoining planted plot carpet is a big no no for me

That’s why it’s been banned on lots of plots!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2018, 17:27 »
Nothing today it’s still persisting it down, it looks a bit better for tomorrow & I want to get the 2nd earlies down & mulched with the well rotted manure I got yesterday.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2018, 17:31 »
Spent an hour building yet another compost bin out of pallets, this one will again be filled with horse muck in the next few weeks ready for use late winter early spring.

Notty1975

« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2018, 18:03 »

Yep so should burying glass (full Paynes and not knowing it’s there till you put a spade through it) and using roof felt for pathways it does make me wonder what goes through people’s minds sometimes

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2018, 21:09 »

Yep so should burying glass (full Paynes and not knowing it’s there till you put a spade through it) and using roof felt for pathways it does make me wonder what goes through people’s minds sometimes

Clearing the bank at the bottom of my plot I dug out glass and carpet earlier this year, pain the backside. The carpet is still sitting there, wet and heavy to go to the tip when I get time. I also dug out lots plastic bottles and some kind of chicken wire plastic cloche thing  >:(

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2018, 21:10 »
Finished turning the heap from last year and cut the jungle (grass).

gstrong

« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2018, 21:56 »
Watered in some nematodes to keep the slugs & vine weevil at bay for a bit.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2018, 13:37 »
Planted out onions from seed, Nipper mini leeks, bunching onions, lettuce and spinach, plus finished the last bit of digging on the small plot.

Photos are :

Bottom end of small plot with rasps on right, gooseberry and currant cages in background and pear trees to left, under-planted with with welsh onions, garlic chives and a few leftover Globo onions.

Top end with cage containing Honeyberries and a blackcurrant, rhubarb looming at the back and the new net tunnel (winterval gift), now planted with Globo onions, spinach, Nipper leeks and lettuce.  The last 3 are catch crops until the winter leeks are ready to go in.

Top end from the other side with tall cage containing perpetual spinach and erbette that have overwintered.

The compost bins are also in view.  There are 2 big wooden bins and 2 darleks.

IMG_2490.JPG
IMG_2491.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 13:41 by New shoot »

snowdrops

« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2018, 19:21 »
Planted the rest of the potatoes, tipped out 46 bags of manure all over the plot, mulched the spuds with it & the old strawberries, they looked so much better so hopefully their last year will be a good one. Did a bit of weeding, mainly in between the slab paths

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2018, 20:01 »
Weeding, planted strawberry runners, sowed chard, beetroot red and gold, scorzonera, onward peas.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 55 queries.