More protein

• 4 Replies

birdgirl426

More protein
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:31 »
A bit late I know, but have just read in your Poultry Pages Newsletter about upping protein for moulting chooks and that they love Tuna.  May I ask how it is served please?   :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: More protein
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 16:58 »
Preferably a drained tin of a low salt version and it can be messy, so probably best in a dish of some sort.  Just put the dish down and get out of there as quick as you can.  Once they realise what is on offer, it will cause a frenzy  :lol:

A cheaper alternative is cat food - this is equally popular so watch your fingers  :)

birdgirl426

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 18:53 »
Thank you for your reply. I was just coming back on to apologise and say that my question wasn't meant to be sarcastic!  I have five chickens, two at 18 months and three at about 29 weeks, I've had them for 12 weeks.  All are Orpingtons.

1)   Would it be ok to give tuna to them all, they are all moulting, none of them are laying at present? The two older ones went broody and then have had a lot to deal with so I'm hoping that they will come back into lay very soon. 

2) How often should I give it?

3) What quantity per chicken i.e. a whole tin (149g drained weight) would go for how many chickens?

Sorry to be a pain and thank you in anticipation for your kind answer/s.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 20:12 »
I didn't read your question as being sarcastic, so no worries there  :)

1 tin should do all 5, but you may need to split it up so the younger ones get a look in.  It won't do any of them any harm, so to prevent jealousy and any subsequent pay back, I would give it to them all.

If they are on a good brand of layers pellets or mash they are getting everything they need.  This is just a treat and a top up, so 1 tin a week is more than enough  :)

birdgirl426

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 15:40 »
Thank you so much for your reply.  Oh my, are the girls in for a treat this week!!  :D

xx
Extra Protein During Moult

Started by JMF on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 13:46
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 40 queries.