Introducing chickens to each other

• 9 Replies

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
Introducing chickens to each other
« on: September 27, 2011, 21:05 »
Hi all,

My lovely hen Mildred died a couple of days ago, and seeing as Bessie died in January, Gertie was left all on her own :-(

We decided to get some new company for her, so today we bought two young hens and I named them Dolly and Mavis. I tried to introduce them this afternoon so I let Gertie out into the garden and put Dolly and Mavis from the box that we brought them in into the run, so they they would be separated from Gertie but would stll be able to see each other.

The second Gertie saw them, I could tell that she was distressed. She started squawking and sort of charging around and walking around me and my family like she was annoyed.  Then she went up to the netting and had a good look at Dolly and Mavis.  Mavis looked back at her and they sort of squared up to each other. Then they both started sort of jumping and flapping at each other.

I never thought that Gertie would be so territorial, because she has always been very passive and friendly.  But I do understand that they will over time need to establish a pecking order. Gertie went straight up to bed in the coop and we put Dolly and Mavis in the garage in a box, and theyre all sound asleep at the moment.

Tomorrow I'm going to keep them separated as I did yesterday, so they are still able to see each other and be near each other, but not able to touch each other.

Can anyone give me any advice or any tips?
Memory is a selection of images. Some illusive, others printed indelibly on the brain.

SMS6

Re: Introducing chickens to each other
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 21:45 »
Don't know if it helps but I put up details on here the other week about how we introduced a new hen to our three.

It's a thread called something like - I'm waiting for it to all go wrong!.

Mine all seem to be getting on well now although one still has a go at the new girl now and again

SMS6

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 21:49 »
don't know if this will work but this is the link to the post I think

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=83746.msg932721#msg932721

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 22:20 »
Hmm. That was helpful, but my dilemma is introducing 2 new chickens who are young to one older chicken in her territory!

I'm worried that Gertie will not come to like them, because I don't want her to have no company for the remainder of her life!

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:23 »
In an ideal world I would keep a fence between them for a couple of weeks and then one night when they are in bed and dopey put them in the coop together for the night. There may abe a little pecking but it should not be too bad. Also ensure you have 2 or 3 lots of food and water to start with. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

kirstie1978

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:48 »
 Thought it was the end of the world when I introduced the new bantam to my bantam silkie after my light Sussex was put to sleep. Squabble initially and then the silkie would run away everytime the black came near her! The silkie is more tame and so I tried coaxing her and the black would run if she saw me. In the end I had one upstairs and one downstairs at night and cried as I thought it was a disaster!!
I picked the black up at dusk and put her in the top of the coop for a few nights and over the course of the week it all settled down. They're not as close as with the large light Sussex, but they do get on.
I've no experience of groups but it might help a small bit!

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 18:06 »
I thought you were just meant to put the new ones into the henhouse at night and leave them to get on with it?  You could seperate them with a temporary fence during the day so that they can still see each other.  They will get used to each other.  They just need to sort out whos top hen and get their pecking order right!!   :)

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 22:22 »
I think I know who rules the roost - Gertie!!

It's so strange, I never ever thought that she would be aggressive towards anything, she's always been so passive and gentle.

Dolly and Mavis seem to be settling in more, we've put them all together to bed tonight and waited to see if we could hear any squabbling over the nest boxes, but we didnt.  They went to sleep straight away.

May have to separate them again tomorrow morning if things go pear shaped!

Gert seems to be getting used to them a bit more though......a bit of a pull on their feathers if theyre in her way etc. Poor Gertie, it must all be strange for her as well as the new arrivals! I wish she could come and sleep in my bed!

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 20:21 »
I lost one of mine to a fox, leaving two. Rather than introduce one on it's own, I got two, similar looking breeds, but from different breeders. Those two met in the box on the way home, then went straight into the coop as it was bedtime.

In the morning, the two new girls tended to stick together while the old girls made sure they stayed in the corner. I tend to sit in the run with a cuppa and some meal worms at intervals during the day to ensure fair play, and 'peck' the old girls if they get too aggressive. But to be honest, they've been very good and not too many feathers have flown. After a whole day together, the smallest hopped into the coop at bedtime with the old girls, while the other had to be popped in by me.

Again today, good mixing with the odd cornering. The old girls were let out to free-range leaving the new girls to get used to the run. Old girls came in and at bed time, same routine.

I'm pretty much letting them get on with it, but think the time I spend in the run playing at top hen (or looking like a right cock according to my husband) is helping the new girls to be accepted to the flock. Famous last words and fingers crossed.

But I only have four birds, and a walk-in run that is 12' x 8' with lots of branches, perches and places to hid, so the new girls are finding their favourite places to avoid unwanted attentions.

Which ever way you choose, I hope it all works out.

Best wishes

Christine
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:42 »
HI I introduced 3 new hens to my old hen (as she was on her own) and old hen was always the bottom of the pecking order so its interesting to see the change in her, she definately likes to show them whos in charge. When she first saw them she continually squawked at them for 1 1/2 days they inturn ignored her! We had coop issues for a few days had to keep them seperate, then we had to put the new ones in through the roof, because she didn't like them coming in through the pop hole, then eventually they could all enter the coop through the pop hole phew...It is hard and I thought they would never be alright but they are now and its great to see them together, this whole process took about 10 days, good luck with your girls and keep us posted! :)

xx
Introducing Chickens

Started by Daemo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 17:02
by kimT
xx
Introducing new chickens to dog...

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:04
by peggyprice
question
introducing new chickens

Started by ellabella on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 15:48
by grinling
xx
Introducing new chickens

Started by mambo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 07:31
by mambo

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 36 queries.