fruit pulp impossible to strain

• 7 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
fruit pulp impossible to strain
« on: September 03, 2018, 10:05 »
Last year I made a jam from my crab apples, using pulp only coarsely strained. This year I thought I would try jelly and decided to add blackberries. So I boiled 3lb crab apples, 3lb blackberries and mixed the pulp.

I put it in a jelly bag in order to strain it as per all the recipes I have seen. It turned out to be almost impossible. With a lot of kneading I got 2 pints out of it. I put the rest in a flour sifter but still the juice would not separate from the pulp.

Does anyone know how this can be made possible?

Pescador

Re: fruit pulp impossible to strain
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 17:15 »
When I need to get the maximum juice from a muslin bag of orange pulp when making marmalade, I put the bag into a potato "ricer" and give it a good squeeze.  You could try putting your straining bag in a colander and weighting it overnight with something really heavy?
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 19:20 »
If you’re making jam as opposed to jelly you don’t really need to put it through the jelly, just rubbing it through a sieve should be enough, it might be that you needed to simmer the fruit a bit more to soften those crab apples skins. I personally would add the blackberries part way through the cooking process as they shouldn’t need as long. I find a silicone spatula very good to rub through tge sieve & obtain the maximum pulp.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 23:53 »
Yes it was jelly this time but I think I'll stick to jam in future. I left it hanging overnight but no weight could practically match the pressure I put on it manually. Still, I got nearly 4lb of good jelly with the addition of the sugar.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:08 »
Sorry missed the jelly bit in your original post, I think 4lb is a goodly amount tbh. Being a cheapskate & not wanting to waste anything I either recoil the pulp with half the amount of water a second time, then drip through the jelly bag & mix the 2 lots of juice together or I then sieve the pulp to make a jam or cloudy jelly  as well

Felicity A

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:14 »
Hi
You don't say how much water you added to your apple / bramble mix - you need to seriously cover the fruit, and just simmer gently so you don't loose the liquid during cooking. For  CLEAR JELLY,  you should not squeeze or sieve your pulp [add to the compost ] ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 12:06 »
TBH you never get a good quantity of liquid from a strained jelly, because you are removing all of the fruit and just using the juice plus a little cooking water.
For seedless jam (and seedless tomato sauces) use a food mill something like this

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 11:56 »
Thanks folks. Actually, the pressure I applied by hand was extreme (not good for the arthritis) but without it there would have been nothing coming through. In spite of this, the jelly is clear. Probably this is all due to the fine mesh of the bag - I don't know if it varies much from other sources.

xx
How do I strain yoghurt?

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 05:17
by tosca100
xx
Is it possible to make a no strain mint jelly?

Started by 666 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 12:18
by FERDY
xx
curd from pulp

Started by PlymouthMaid on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 12:44
by soaplady
xx
cheap fruit

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 15, 2016, 13:07
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.