What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 405 Replies

Elm street

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2015, 12:03 »
Put the tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers into the greenhouse border and set up the watering system.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2015, 12:46 »
I hope it's a heated greenhouse, with the forecasts for this week  :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2015, 12:48 »
Just read the post a few above this about creating a high up platform.  I've attached a couple of pics of one I made for the polytunnel.  It's useful and you can slide it across to keep from bumping your head.

That looks good - very useful, I should think  :)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2015, 17:24 »
Just took a look in to water and to work out how to juggle what I've got and bring some back into the spare room for the next few days without the family noticing....

Lardman

« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2015, 21:32 »
Despite being really cold overnight the temperature was well into the 30s when I managed to open everything up this morning.  :wacko:

A few of the purple French beans are up, no sign of the yellow though. Just 2 out of 12 sweatpeas  have germinated :mad: Im not sure if it's a bit late for a 3rd sowing?  Plenty of flowers on the tomatoes now so they'll go into their final pots after the cold spell.  Cukes are on their first true leaves, everything is just ticking over.  I should really think about sowing some crops for the beds outside.

Lardman

« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2015, 14:49 »
Tomatoes out in their big pots and 2 bags of compost gone  :) I'll hold off direct planting in the top gh for a while until the weather sorts itself out.

Very poor germination from things this year, looks like I'll need to resow both types of french bean as I've only got 2 plants from 24 seed even the beetroot will need to be done again.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2015, 17:42 »
Swore loudly at a cloud of white fly  :mad: no idea where they came from its a cold house that's been open all winter,much to the delight of next doors (fleabag) cat I find . was prepping to plant toms now I will candle it  :(
I cook therefore I grow

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #262 on: May 02, 2015, 19:20 »
Potted up some toms- I seem to have loads- you know when they say sow two seeds and discard the weakest?  am I the only one who can't bear to throw out a perfectly good plant  ::)....

Squashes & courgettes all in the greenhouse now, with the few that didn't work having another go in the spare room.  Surprised that all the borlottis 'hatched' outside; thought it was too cold and I'd lost them- 100% but s/corn only about 70%.  Peas Moved to 'almost' outside and brassicas & salads & marigolds now hardening off.
Cues still indoors for a few more days, although forecasting over 10 for the next few nights so soon and very soon.... 
Chillis hanging in there but not growing much, will pot on as soon as I can find some room somewhere...

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #263 on: May 03, 2015, 14:20 »
Very poor germination from things this year, looks like I'll need to resow both types of french bean as I've only got 2 plants from 24 seed even the beetroot will need to be done again.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's suffering from seriously poor germination this year :(
I've hardly grown anything it seems  :(

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2015, 19:48 »
I've changed up my compost and got another bag of jacks magic to re sow- that Waitrose stuff was well rubbish.
Potted up loads of psb and sprouts, sowed a load more brassicas (Kales), herbs, did another guttering of lettuce.
Re sowed a lot of the squashes, Only 10 made it through  :wacko: 
Moved the cool stuff outside high up to avoid slugs whilst it hardens off.  Worried about the sweetcorn, half was ok but the rest is still in the rubbish compost.  May have to intervene tomorrow if nothing shows.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2015, 14:01 »
Chillies planted out into the border in bottomless pots  :)

Lardman

« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2015, 14:59 »
Potted on cukes, physallis and some shop bought herbs  :blush: .  No sign of the Yellow french beans, think I better do a germination test on those.  Found a snail which had munched a goodly amount of my basil  :mad: Tomatoes in flower so I really should start to side shoot them and sort out some gravel trays for the pots to stand in.

Moved a few more bits out to harden off.

snowdrops

« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2015, 22:14 »
Potted on all the tomatoes, sowed some of the beans- dwarf green & yellow, borlotti, yin yang(1st time), climbing purple & yellow.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2015, 08:34 »
Still no French beans  :mad:

Bottom GH

Watered everything Im beginning to remember how annoying that is. Searched high and low for as many gravel trays as I could find to put under the tomato pots most have seen better days. As a quick fix I've ordered some washing up bowls from trashco to make up the numbers.

Cukes are a little lethargic this year as are the peppers but the physallis and pepino are putting on good growth. Tomatoes have been in flower for a while and the Black Russian have sprouted mega flowers again, not sure if that's a variety thing? The early sown glacier and sub-Arctic don't seem to be any more advanced, so again - someone please remind me not to bother next year.

Top GH

Dusty dry borders so everything got a good soaking, wish I hadn't put the GH up level so I could use a water butt - must put that on the list of things to fix. The borders are covered in newly germinated tomatoes from last years dis guarded fruit :blush: but the planted toms are looking a little yellow. Good growth on the dwarf beans and they have started to flower.

I think it's time to be looking at tomato feed.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2015, 00:47 »
Planted up newly delivered tomato plants - 'Corazon', 'Fenda' and 'Yellow Pear'.

Just waiting for the grafted cukes now ;) :)

xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 56 queries.