So annoyed with myself I could cry!

• 11 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
So annoyed with myself I could cry!
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:25 »
So I have started making sour dough for the first time. Started the starter last weekend and have been nurturing it all week and yesterday morning I started my first bake - I kneaded it, autolysed its, proved it, pre-shaped, shaped and proved overnight in the fridge - I could tell it was going to be an amazing loaf. I heated up the oven and pizza stone, turned the bread out onto my board and scored it. All the hard work done right?

WRONG! I took out the stone, slid the bread onto it and then for reasons unknown to anyone (least of all myself) I picked up then stone with my bare hand. Of course said stone ended up on the floor along with my weekend masterpiece :(

We were having steak sourdough open sandwiches for dinner.... So look like a trip to Waitrose is in order!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: So annoyed with myself I could cry!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 12:31 »
Blow the bread - how're your poor hands?

I hope they're not too burnt badly - cos they really do hurt  :(

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:35 »
They will be fine - slightly burnt but not too bad - my quick reflexes saved me there, just not the bread.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:52 »
Thank goodness for that  :)

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 13:46 »
Some years ago my wife had a similar mis-hap. Bad enough to go to the hospital with.

However, we learned something new that may be of use to you. Burned hands (skin) stings because it is exposed to the air. The nurse put vaseline on my wifes hands to stop the stinging and it works amazingly well.

So I hope your accident isn't too bad, but if your hands are stinging a little and you need a little relief, use a bit of vaseline!

Good luck with your next sourdough!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 13:54 »
The best thing for burns is immersion in cold water until the burning pain has stopped.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 14:05 »
Yes, MoS is right. By the time my wife got to A&E the time for cold water had long gone.

However, the nurse did use vaseline and it worked for my wife.

Nonetheless I hope your injury is not so bad that it needs that kind of attention.

Thanks to MoS for pointing out the cold water application.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 14:31 »
I managed to tip a chip pan over my foot one tea-time and sat until 11pm with my foot in cold water, by then it was fine, apart from a red mark which took months to disappear.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 16:05 »
Thanks everyone for your concern! As I say the burn isn't too bad at all and I have had/been around enough burns to know you just have to stick it in cold water for as long as you can possibly bear. I have no idea what possessed me to pick up the stone with my hand and no glove! I will just have to re-try sour dough next weekend grrrr

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 16:31 »
Oh that is a real shame, pleased your hand is ok though. I used to regularly take the lid of my big Le Creuset casserole put it down, stir contents or whatever, then pick the lid up with bare hand. I found by putting the lid,knob side down stopped me doing it. Maybe put the stone on the oven cloth so you remember to use the cloth to pick it up  :(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 16:47 »
I managed to tip a chip pan over my foot one tea-time and sat until 11pm with my foot in cold water, by then it was fine, apart from a red mark which took months to disappear.

Oh no. How scary and painful. :ohmy: :(

Chip pans are the work of the devil. My mum set hers alight so many times I will not have one

Rotten luck RJR. We have all done it. I am surprised I have any prints left on my fingers. :(

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 20:54 »
Making bread is an effort but with rewarding results hope the hands are better soo.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 37 queries.