Davids Birthday Brew - Coopers Stout

• 13 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Davids Birthday Brew - Coopers Stout
« on: September 02, 2016, 12:05 »
Hi All,
I’ve just put my ‘birthday beer' in to secondary and thought I’d share the (very basic) recipe that I have used.
It smelled amazing while cooking it all up!

1 can x Coopers Stout
500g Dark Spray Malt
300g Dark Brown Sugar
200g Black treacle

I put this all in primary for ten days in a brew bin and have now moved it to secondary in a pressure barrel with a further 200g of dark brown sugar, hopefully it’ll be ready by the 27th for some birthday drinks!

This is the first time I’ve ‘jazzed up’ a basic beer kit some I’m very interested to see (and taste) the results.
I’ll let you know how it turns out!

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Re: Davids Birthday Brew - Coopers Stout
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 14:54 »
Can I really wait 25 days.......
Stout.jpg

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:50 »
Hi David, keep an eye on the pressure barrel, that's a big amount of priming sugar. ;)

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:54 »
Hi David, keep an eye on the pressure barrel, that's a big amount of priming sugar. ;)

This is the first time ive used the pressure barrel, every other time ive homebrewed ive bottled.... how much primer would you recommend for a PB?

Kr

David

grinling

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 21:37 »
How's it going as I gave up on pressure barrels as they leaked. I think we put the equal to bottle priming in so 40 teaspoons, but yet to be brave to try from scratch.

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 09:41 »
It hasnt exploded yet if thats what you mean  ;)
Im going to draw a sample tonight (as its Friday) to see how its getting on :)

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 10:06 »
Sorry I'm late replying Dave, been away for a few days, I usually prime the pressure barrels with 3 ozs, of sugar and I have pressure gauges on each one so it's easier to keep tabs on whats going on, hope that helps. ;)

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 09:56 »
Sorry I'm late replying Dave, been away for a few days, I usually prime the pressure barrels with 3 ozs, of sugar and I have pressure gauges on each one so it's easier to keep tabs on whats going on, hope that helps. ;)

Do you have a picture of the pressure barrel you are using?
Mine is VERY old and I picked it up from a charity shop, Im thinking of 'upgrading' soon :)

Seems like I went overboard with the primer, nothings gone boom but the Stout is very 'active'.
Taste wise im really impressed, the black treacle really comes through, im looking forward to having a propper try after its had a couple more weeks ageing :)

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:43 »
Morning David, late replying again I've been really busy, ever thing seems to be happening at once, I've been stripping the Katie apple tree for cider making, six wheelbarrows full, still collecting brambles for wine, got five gallons on the go now and picked forty pounds of Czar plums for wine too, the pressure barrels I have are three King Kegs,like you, bought second hand and a Boots,one we bought in the 80's and still going strong at the moment I'm only using two, both full of cider, but not for long :D.

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 11:06 »
Morning David, late replying again I've been really busy, ever thing seems to be happening at once, I've been stripping the Katie apple tree for cider making, six wheelbarrows full, still collecting brambles for wine, got five gallons on the go now and picked forty pounds of Czar plums for wine too, the pressure barrels I have are three King Kegs,like you, bought second hand and a Boots,one we bought in the 80's and still going strong at the moment I'm only using two, both full of cider, but not for long :D.

The one I have is from Boots aswell (via the charity Shop), it seems to be holding up well though!
Id love to make Cider, I planted a Kingston Black not sol long ago but its still a baby, I need to get another verity to 'breed' it with though....

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 08:16 »
Peeing down here this morning, I was going to pick the rest of the plums today, so that's messed that up, glad your barrel's still O.K. I planted some cider trees three years ago, first crop this year, three apples off four trees, might get an eggcup full of the amber liquid  :D

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35 »
Peeing down here this morning, I was going to pick the rest of the plums today, so that's messed that up, glad your barrel's still O.K. I planted some cider trees three years ago, first crop this year, three apples off four trees, might get an eggcup full of the amber liquid  :D

What trees did you plant? Im trying to select somthing that will polonate my Kingston Black, and advice or recomendations?

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 09:02 »
Morning, I planted four Kingston Blacks into an existing orchard where the original trees had died, blown over, ect. there's a variety of trees, from cookers to eaters and also some pear trees (Hazel Pears they call them round here) but all of them are really old so I don't know what type of tree they are, I've also put in some some supermarket trees, plum, apple and pear, they all seem to be doing O.K. though we get a bit of deer damage now and again.

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 20:02 »

1 can x Coopers Stout
500g Dark Spray Malt
300g Dark Brown Sugar
200g Black treacle

I put this all in primary for ten days in a brew bin and have now moved it to secondary in a pressure barrel with a further 200g of dark brown sugar, hopefully it’ll be ready by the 27th for some birthday drinks!

That sounds similar to a recipe for Theakstons Old Peculier I once tried. It was lush. I normally use 80grms of priming sugar in a 5 gall barrel.

xx
less water in stout brew ?

Started by kennykoala on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 21:27
by Fredjones
xx
stout

Started by johnny5 on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 07:58
by mike1987
xx
yummy stout

Started by kennykoala on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post December 27, 2010, 09:02
by kennykoala
question
Flat Coopers - Dark Ale

Started by Sadgit on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 20:01
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 40 queries.