sneezing

• 12 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
sneezing
« on: October 01, 2009, 22:43 »
Final question today: my hens are sneezing. It's not bad or constant but daily.

Could this could be due to cold weather or is it some early sign of something more worrying.

I am a bit concerned that we have not made enough air holes in the coop. We have about 8 or 10 holes (about the diameter of a finger) on 2 sides of the coop and none in the nest box.  I have always wondered whether we need more ventilation than this?

Can anyone advise?

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: sneezing
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 22:56 »
Try putting some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 23:15 »
hi there Michelle,
I am doing this when I remember - abt once a week or so. Also have garlic in the water too.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 23:19 »
Are you using the supermarket ACV or the horsey one?
You only need to use it at most once a month for 5 days at a time.

Michelle xx

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 23:31 »
If they sneeze out of the house then it's nothing to do with your house, but if they only sneeze in the house then suspect some problem in the house.  Is it too dusty, do you sprinkle Diatom or other dust and have the chickens access to scrat about in dusty litter?  Do you use hay as litter if so, don't it breeds mould spores.  Only use softwood shavings, paper, or any sterile non dusty and absorbent material intended for animal bedding, or if chopped straw (don't get it wet and change regularly on a weekly to fortnightly basis depending on whether the hens have access to it). 

Whether your ventillation is adequate or not depends on the size of your house and the number of birds.  It would do no harm to make the holes wider than you indicate as they seem too small.  Cover with mesh if you are concerned about rodents entering.  Don't make it too drafty though.  You'll have to use your judgement.

If they are sneezing out of the house too and have runny noses and or discharge from their eyes keep them under observation and if it gets worse it could be a respiratory problem and could need treatment with medication and you may need the services of a vet.

Don't know what effect ACV will have on the cause of sneezing but probably none.  If you do want to use it, and it won't do any harm, then use the unrefined ACV intended for an animal tonic not the supermarket refined type.  It's all the cloudy stuff they leave in which is claimed to deliver the benefit.  Giving them an odd apple or two to peck at might just do as well.
Regards
Truth through science.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:27 »
Hi

They tend to sneeze outside. No runny noses and nothing drastic but if I had them out for an hour each one wld probably sneeze 2-3 times.

We have built a coop that is 1m long (inc nest box), 73cm wide and 75cm tall for 3 chickens. Plus another abt half that size for 1 further chicken. The 3 perch with newspaper underneath and nest box has wood shavings and straw. The paper gets changed daily, the shavings and straw every week. I dust with a bit of red mite powder but mainly liquid poultry shield.
The one on her own nests in shavings/straw and this gets  a quick clean every day and then thoroughly every week.

Rafa

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 13:18 »
It maybe that they have just picked up something, or they are just trying to clear out any dust. The apple cider vinegar works well for me or try a bit of the product I sell in their rations. That will soon clear it up!  :)

Edit by John - we love honest comment and hate sneaky posters from firms in here
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 15:35 by john »

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 13:30 »
Hi Rafa. What's The Pet Answer ?

Rob

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 13:57 »
Hi Rob, was wondering that myself so just googled it:-

Link removed by John - sorry Joyfull, they're pretending to be genuine posters whilst advertising and I don't want them to have publicity. If they were straight then I'd trust the products.

according to their blurb they are bringing out one before winter just for chickens.

joyfullxx
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 15:32 by john »
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 15:04 »
Your coop is more than adequate size wise.  Just keep them under observation and don't worry.  Have you provided corn ad lib because they frequently gorge on corn and will shake their heads with a sharp flick and issue a sort of cough come sneeze to dislodge stuck husks.  This isn't happending is it.

Re ACV I'm not saying this isn't useful just that ACV's benefits are usually slated as digestive whereas sneezing is respiritory so I wouldn't have thought it would help sneezing.

When you say you dust with RM Powder is that Barrier because that is only intended to be used on the bird as a repellant it's no use in the house unless they bath in it which as this creates dust in the air  I wouldn't encourage.  Don't overdo the Barrier RM powder (or Louse Powder which is the same active formulation anyway)  see http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=45792.msg536986#msg536986  Brown and Red Mite post for more info on these powders.

Regards

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 16:44 »
Good to know the house sounds big enough...I dust the birds themselves every week or two with barrier red mite powder. I have recently also started rubbing it over the perches too but have bought some Diatom instead...just need to work out what Im supposed to do with it now!

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 17:11 »
Easy one - paint the diatom as a slurry.  Add powder to a poultry disinfectant rather than water.  I use Vanodine.  Paint on a creamy paint of the slurry in all the corners and all surfaces on each perch.  Keeps the dust down but still works and stops the s**t stickiing to the perches too.

Use the Red Mite powder as a deoderant or substitute for the mother-in-laws talc or write Elephant Powder on the tube and sprinkle round the perimeter of the run keeps elephants off with 100% success rate!

Regards

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 17:21 »
Use the Red Mite powder as a deoderant or substitute for the mother-in-laws talc or write Elephant Powder on the tube and sprinkle round the perimeter of the run keeps elephants off with 100% success rate!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  Love it !

xx
Sneezing hen

Started by newchickenkeeper on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 10:56
by ANHBUC
xx
Sneezing

Started by Sooz on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 07:44
by Sooz
xx
Sneezing hen.

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
New and sneezing!

Started by rebecca.smiles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 20:54
by PaulineM

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 41 queries.