Sneezing hen

• 4 Replies

newchickenkeeper

Sneezing hen
« on: June 28, 2013, 13:18 »
Hi All

I just wondered if anyone can make any suggestions. Had my ladies just over a week now and they are settling in great. Have laid an egg each every day :) Very cheeky and happy in themselves but one keeps sneezing. I have noticed it a couple of times now.

Any advice or possible causes of this? I am using straw bedding / nesting. The housing is brand new with no chemicals etc on it.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Sneezing hen
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 13:26 »
I believe that straw can have mould spores in it with it being hollow which is not good for hens.  With new hens you can get a few signs of stress due to moving which could be the cause.  Check that there are no discharge from the eyes or nostrils and any sign of odour.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 13:34 »
Ahhh :( right. I will get rid of this. I have seen some hemp bedding in the local country store - would this be more suited do you think?

I have checked over and thankfully nothing from eyes or nose.

Otherwise very happy in themselves and running absolute rings around me!! hahaha. They now enjoy sitting in the front room for an hour watching TV during the evening - can't believe it :)

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:34 »
Has anyone tried that grapefruit supplement / stuff that goes in water to help with sneezing? I have read a few reviews on it and people say its a real help to sneezes (as long as there are no other symptoms such as fluid from nose etc).

If not, I will maybe get some Baytril to be sure

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:56 »
You can't always see a discharge from the nostrils as they will wipe their beaks on grass etc.  If you are worried it is best to consult a vet and if needed they would prescribe baytril etc.   :)

xx
Sneezing

Started by Sooz on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 07:44
by Sooz
xx
Sneezing hen.

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
Sneezing?

Started by chickpea87 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 10:36
by kimT
xx
New and sneezing!

Started by rebecca.smiles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 20:54
by PaulineM

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 35 queries.