Another broody hen problem sorry.

• 8 Replies

Ruby Red

« on: May 23, 2008, 20:01 »
Sorry I have tried looking specifically on here but really cant find an answer. One of my hens is very tatty feather wise and I think shes broody because she is staying in the coop when I let out the others. She obviously isnt eating much. Tonight I let them out in the garden , she came running out then within 2 mins she had gone back in again. I turfed her out (did I do right )and shut the coop door so she couldnt get back in. She made such a fuss that Irelented and let her back in. Im worried though coz she isnt eating much. Shall I continue to turf her out and harden my heart. Will it affect her. Thanks. :oops:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Bodger

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 20:16 »
Broody hens don't eat as much or need as much food as hens that aren't broody. Don't concern yourself too much, because its instinct and when she's really hungry, she will eat. Remember, a broody hen is sitting for hours and she wont be expending as much energy as a hen that is scratching about. :D

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 21:03 »
Yep she's broody, do you want her to be broody or not?  If not you have to take a tough line and turf her out and don't let her back in, and keep turfing her out.  You're not the only one to feel bad about doing this, I feel exactly the same but otherwise she'll just sit and get in poorer condition.  She won't be happy about this but she wont hold it against you!
If you do want her to sit, just lift her off once (or as i did twice) a day for a comfort break.

Ruby Red

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:56 »
c  

Ok thank you both for your replies. It really helps coming on here doesnt it. Puts your mind at rest.  :lol:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:00 »
I have 3 broody at the moment and I just let them sit even though they aren't on eggs! They come round of their own accord, come out to poo and eat and have a little scratch. It's just their hormones after all...why not just let her have a rest?! Mine will be broody for weeks and I do get them out for a while occassionally if I've not noticed them out that day.

It's really up to you...I'm just a softy and prefer to let them be!

Judi :wink:

millypede

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 16:48 »
Hello everyone,
I have a broody bantam.  She has been sitting now for over two weeks. She is sitting on a collection of different eggs.  Some are hers, some are my other chickens, black rocks and warrens. And also some black minorcas, wayandottes and anconas.  The latter were given to me by a friend who breeds them, so I know they are fertilised and as they are such a variety I am keen for her to hatch them.  I just don't know whether I should move her and her eggs to her own house and run or whether moving her would put her off sitting?  :(  At present she is in one of the nesting boxes in the main house with the others.  She seems happy there, I giver her a bit of grub so she doesn't go hungry and check on her every day.  Trouble is I have no idea how long she has to sit for til they hatch.  And what happens if some hatch before the others, will she abandon the others and concentrate on what chicks have hatched so far?  Also , how will the other chickens and cocks react with the chicks, will they harm them? Please could you advise what is best, as I am already an anxious eagerly awaiting chicken granny!! :D
Millypede, freelance chef and gardening nut!
Sharpen up your cooking skills with Camilla!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 16:54 »
hi milly,

do you have somewhere you can seperate her to? i usually use a bunny hutch.

did you put eggs under at different times, as naturally she wouldnt have started sitting until she had a big enough clutch of eggs.

have you candled the eggs yet?

lots of people on here have or have had broodies, so all the help you need is about.

Vember

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 16:56 »
Hi Millypede,

Think your best to seperate her from your other birds but this will be best done at night.
 when did your hen go broody? Have you just kept popping the odd egg under her since??
Has she been coming off the eggs to go poop?

Chicken tend to take 21 days to hatch but this can vary
Sorry to ask loads sof questions but the clearer the picture the better the replys will be.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 16:56 »
hi broody hens need to be on their own! other hens and oosters can be quite aggressive to new chicks!

they take about 21 days to hatch some can be a day early others on here have said they have hatched at 24 days. so that would leave you roughly a week now before they hatch. so long as they all hatch within a couple of days she should stay sitting on the rest ,new hatchlings dont wander far and stay with mum! you will need chick crumbs for them to eat as it is small and has the goodness they need for the first few weeks.
hope that helps

xx
another broody problem

Started by jeannie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:38
by ANHBUC
xx
Broody Problem

Started by Derek.laurence on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 08:02
by jennie hennie
xx
Broody problem

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 15:13
by hillfooter
xx
broody hen problem

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:07
by EggBound

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 28 queries.