Broody Problem

• 3 Replies

Derek.laurence

Broody Problem
« on: March 11, 2013, 17:38 »
Hi folks,

i have a problem with one of my hens...possibly partially my fault but was looking for some advice

Minnie is broody.....im pretty sure of it.  Constantly find her in the nest box no matter how many times i remove her. 

I tried to block the nest box off but her persistance betters me every time and she ends up back there

I have succesfully quelled 1 other hen of her broodyness by blocking off the nest box, removing her and cooling her off in their paddling pool!

So naturally i tried all of these methods again.  It is snowy here at the moment!

I lifted Minnie up a short while ago and she is completely bare of feathers on her underside and quite raw!  :-(

I feel awful!

I wrapped her in a tshirt for a while in an attempt to warm her up and dry her off but nether the less i need to find some method of getting her unbroody without hurting the poor girl.

Any suggestions?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Broody Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 21:44 »
I know its cold out at the moment, and I have never had a hen broody in the winter, but we used to put ours in a large dog cage inside the main run, just with food and water.  No treats or anything.

We usually put her back in with the others at night, but once in the summer, I left one girl in the cage for a few days, covering the top and 2 sides with a tarpaulin to keep her sheltered, but a bit of wind up the fluffy knickers usually stops them.

Derek.laurence

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 17:15 »
Thanks Grannie Annie,

Ive only had the hens since July and this is my second broody one, and the first was only 2 months ago.

thats a good idea abouth the through draft though.  Im sure i can modify something to that effect. 

Thanks again,

Derek

jennie hennie

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:02 »
I agree with Annie, one of my bantams goes broody regularly no matter what time of year :wub: The only way out is the dog/cat cage!.
  As I only have one other at the mo it's a bit easier 'cos once she's laid I shut the pop hole. Even then I've found her making a 'nest' under a bush or in my ornamental grasses. :nowink:
Bless, she's back in the nestbox so i must go and get her out AGAIN.
Good Luck.

xx
Broody problem

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 15:13
by hillfooter
xx
broody hen problem

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:07
by EggBound
xx
another broody problem

Started by jeannie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:38
by ANHBUC
xx
Another broody hen problem sorry.

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 16:56
by nettynoodles1

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 39 queries.