asparagus

• 10 Replies

CHRIS THE VEG

asparagus
« on: April 23, 2007, 22:14 »
hion my new plot ive found a small bed of asparagus but its needs to move can i move it or will kill it off when is the best time to move it
thanks
chris :lol:
home grown is best

WG.

asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 22:16 »
I don't think you can move.  You'd need to re-establish from new plants.

Trillium

asparagus
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 22:32 »
Sorry to contradict, WG, but asparagus can be moved, even mega plants. Not sure how much growth you have on it now, but water it well first, then dig as big a root base as you can around the plant. Your new hole should be well prepped and watered before you put the asparagus in, then water again. It'll sulk for a bit but the water will encourage it on. This year's crop might not be the biggest, but it'll recover by next year. And water regularly this year to get those roots growing. I've moved quite a few very established plants and as long as they get enough water, they'll be fine.

WG.

asparagus
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 22:37 »
Not a problem Trillium - I will be an experienced asparagus grower in a week or two; as soon as the seed germinates.  :wink:

Munty said somewhere that the roots can go down 6ft and so I assumed that moving it would be a no-no.  :D

shaun

asparagus
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 22:41 »
and the roots are so brittle it will be like a archaeologist dig to get them out whole i would leave them where they and play it safe
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Trillium

asparagus
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 22:50 »
Yes, the roots do go down a long way, but if you dig as deep as you can, at least a shovel's depth, you can keep most of the bottom crown intact which is the most important part. The lost feeder roots are no problem as you'll be watering well for a while to encourage new ones, same with the new bed of better soil, which is slightly alkaline (their preference). This way the upper part will still grow and the lower can gorge while putting out new feeder roots. Only real problem is that you might get a hernia from the weight of some root balls. My folks moved a 30 yr old one by their road and they needed the backhoe to get that puppy out.  Mum had been cutting from it for years but now it was in the way of a road change, so they got digging. And she's still cutting from it - in her own garden. From that same plant's seeds, I've dug out many smaller crowns which were in the way of the tiller.

laalaa

asparagus
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 21:43 »
i've just done a search on this subject and saw this thread. it seems a bit silly to ask again, but i think it's a bit different circumstances for me.

I have just gotten an allotment, but had already planted asparagus, in February, in my little plot at home. I see one little sprout coming up now, and it just makes me drool....i LOVE asparagus. I know I can't harvest any this year, and it seems to make the wait so much more worth it. anyway, on to the question..

Can I safely move this lot of asparagus to my allotment, because it won't be very well established yet? We're thinking of selling our house and I would hate to miss out on my asparagus!

any thoughts?

love as always, to all you wise lotters...

laalaa
laalaa

trying to be organic, but it's very frustrating

shaun

asparagus
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 21:50 »
if you planted it this year then i would go for it

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
asparagus
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 08:35 »
Hi, Sorry if this is a daft question, but I'm new to veg growing, apart from tomatoes in pots.   I planted some asparagus last year  in a pot), and then transferred it to the ground and it was doing fine, but it seems to have disappeared, I can't see any sign of it.  Is it too early or have I lost it?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Trillium

asparagus
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 14:51 »
I'd wait a bit longer, they can be slow when you'd rather they sprouted faster. If it doesn't show up in another month, then consider it gone. Not all transplant well; I lose 1 in 5, but it's always worth the gamble from established plants. yours, however, should make it thru unless it's too dry or something. Young asparagus need a bit of pampering at first.  :wink:

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
asparagus
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 17:15 »
Thanks.  I'll be patient and keep my fingers crossed that I don't have to start the three year cycle all over again.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus, new to me

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 04:26
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.