Coriander

• 10 Replies

tallulah

Coriander
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:33 »
Any tips on ensuring a constant supply of this during the warm months will be gratefully received.  I've been trying to do this for years, but the coriander so quickly goes to seed, that I feel I barely get a chance at harvesting any lush green leaves.  I grow it for the leaves, not the seeds.  It also seems to take ages to germinate and get started.  I've grown it in beds, and in containers.  Not much luck with either.  Any clues?

compostqueen

Re: Coriander
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:13 »
You have to get the right sort. There are basically two types - one for seed production and one for leaf. A good leafy one is 'Leisure'  :)

savbo

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:35 »
From many threads in recent years I think coriander is not an easy one to get lots of leaf from consistently... I still grow it but if I want a lot I still go to the local asian grocers...

sav

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:39 »
I always use the big bags of seed that you get in most Asian shops. It's a lot cheaper and that way you can sow very thickly every couple of weeks and have a good supply all during the growing season lasting up to and beyond the first frosts....depending on how hard the frost is.
 Have been doing this for many, many years and always have a good crop. :)
I used to grow it indoors too in 4" depth containers (can't do it here....no room) on a sunny windowsill covered with clingfilm to get it to germinate first.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 13:06 »
Try growing some in guttering as a micro-leaf crop. The small leaves have all the flavour of their fully grown counterparts and you eliminate the risk of running to seed. I got 3 cuttings from one sowing last year

tallulah

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 17:45 »
Try growing some in guttering as a micro-leaf crop. The small leaves have all the flavour of their fully grown counterparts and you eliminate the risk of running to seed. I got 3 cuttings from one sowing last year

Ooh, I'll try that, thanks!

tallulah

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 17:46 »
I always use the big bags of seed that you get in most Asian shops. It's a lot cheaper and that way you can sow very thickly every couple of weeks and have a good supply all during the growing season lasting up to and beyond the first frosts....depending on how hard the frost is.
 Have been doing this for many, many years and always have a good crop. :)
I used to grow it indoors too in 4" depth containers (can't do it here....no room) on a sunny windowsill covered with clingfilm to get it to germinate first.

Thanks Agapanthus - good tip, I'll get one of those big bags from an Asian supermarket. 

Nice to see you - haven't seen you around for many a year!  Hope you're ok!  You seemed to have moved down South ... ?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 19:23 »
A further tip re coriander is to cut it frequently. I chop off half a clump a time about two inches from the ground, and then it grows up again about three times.

I have several clumps in a row, grown from supermarket seeds as Agapanthus does  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tallulah

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 20:15 »
I think my mistake has been that I tentatively pick individual leaves, rather than cutting the whole stem.  Thanks Sunshineband!  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 20:16 »
I think my mistake has been that I tentatively pick individual leaves, rather than cutting the whole stem.  Thanks Sunshineband!  :)

Be bold, m'dear. Be bold  :D

agapanthus

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 23:50 »
Hello Tallulah...yes we've are further south now......just need to get a bit further now ;)
As was said be very bold :)

xx
Coriander

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 21:53
by agapanthus
xx
Coriander

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 16:46
by chris23005
xx
coriander?

Started by diospyros on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 16:11
by kentishlad
xx
Coriander

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 13:12
by sarah-king

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.