pickling

• 6 Replies

linash

pickling
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:55 »
Hi to all my name is Lin and we have just moved back to Cornwall from Canada. Have pickled some onions and beetroot.  Can anyone give me a clue how long they will keep for unopened?
 :D

allotmentann

Re: pickling
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:24 »
Hello Lin and welcome. I can't answer your question I am afraid. I am sure someone else will be able to. And Mrs Bee just knows everything you could ever want to know about cooking etc. She's wonderful! I am starting to think she is like a human, walking, talking google for food! But better than google as you don't have to sift the bad answers out! Only she and others would be more likely to spot your question under the cooking section. I am sure a mod will move it there for you. Nice to have you with us anyway.   :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 18:01 »
Mostly, it depends on just how much salt and vinegar you've added to the recipe. Most recipes include enough of each that will keep them nice for several months unrefrigerated.

I keep all my opened jars in the fridge and they last a very long time, as in a year for larger jars that I don't use that often.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 18:30 »

I've had an opened huge pot of pickled onions on the side for about a year and they are still crunchy.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 18:18 »
If you have used vinegar with an acid content of 5% or greater and you have soaked the onions in brine or salt according to a reliable recipe your onions should keep for at least a year, although they may go a little soft the later in the year you eat them.

I Have just finished eating the last of last years pickled beetroot which were all fine too.

The most important thing when pickling is to make sure you use a good vinegar with the correct acidity level which keeps bacteria at bay. And brining raw vegetables to remove as much water as possible.

And sterilising your jars properly.

I don't keep my pickles in the fridge when opened, I keep them in the cupboard, the vinegar is the preservative.

Also don't overcrowd the jars, with the veg you want the vinegar to cover all the veg without any being squashed against the jar or causing air pockets.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 18:21 by Mrs Bee »

linash

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 19:46 »
Thanks for all the help and assistance, have used proper pickling vinegar, so will hope for a year then :D.  will let you know how they taste.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 18:38 »
My pickles and beetroot lasts easily for 2+ years.. I dont do anything fancy when making them either..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
pickling

Started by samuria on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2018, 19:27
by samuria
xx
Pickling veg?

Started by Livinhope on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 19:22
by sloegin
xx
Pickling

Started by WG. on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
pickling

Started by bobbywest on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 17:20
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.