Paper pot question

• 13 Replies

mashauk

Paper pot question
« on: January 13, 2008, 18:32 »
Possibly a daft question but how long before paper pots start to decompose?  Hopefully longer than my seeds take to germinate and move on to the polytunnel? They're on a layer of compost, also, do I need to water in an electric propagator or does the microclimate see to that?

Thanks.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Paper pot question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 20:40 »
2-3 months for full decomp, but the bottoms go first after about a month or so but with gentle handling they are fine, also depends on how you make your pots, and you may still need to water your propagator as some water will be lost through the vents .
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mashauk

Paper pot question
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 20:48 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
2-3 months for full decomp, but the bottoms go first after about a month or so but with gentle handling they are fine, also depends on how you make your pots, and you may still need to water your propagator as some water will be lost through the vents .

Thank you.  I guess I only open the vents if the temp goes above 21, I'll keep checking it.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Paper pot question
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 22:35 »
Becareful where you site a heated propagator I've fried seeds before now in mine,
heated prop + greenhouse + sunny day = popcorn  :lol:

mashauk

Paper pot question
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 22:39 »
Becareful where you site a heated propagator I've fried seeds before now in mine,
heated prop + greenhouse + sunny day = popcorn  :lol:

We don't have electricity on the lottie, it's actually in my kitchen at the moment, but possibly too near the oven so may have to put it in the living room or even my bedroom, not sure yet!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Paper pot question
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 22:45 »
Just keep it out of direct sunlight before the seeds appear.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Paper pot question
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 22:48 »
I've always found no need for extra heat if the seeds are in the house. Seed tray inside a blown up plastic bag or with a cover has never let me down.

(Speaks too soon?).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mashauk

Paper pot question
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 23:01 »
Quote from: "DD."
I've always found no need for extra heat if the seeds are in the house. Seed tray inside a blown up plastic bag or with a cover has never let me down.

(Speaks too soon?).

Perhaps your house is warmer than mine :lol:

mashauk

Paper pot question
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 23:02 »
Just keep it out of direct sunlight before the seeds appear.

Not much sunlight in here in the winter, actually that's a point I'm going to have to open the curtains, I never open my living room curtains or the local friendly drunk normally stops in front of the house (apart 3' from the window) to shout at me!

mushroom

Paper pot question
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 04:19 »

(Speaks too soon?).

I need to get a seed propogator tomorrow. (I mean today. later this morning. :roll: The house is fine for most seeds (16-20C) but the real reason for getting it is JUST for the chili seeds - was surprised they need the soil so warm (25-35C from what I've read so far.....)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Paper pot question
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 05:32 »
Quote from: "mushroom"

(Speaks too soon?).

I need to get a seed propogator tomorrow. (I mean today. later this morning. :roll: The house is fine for most seeds (16-20C) but the real reason for getting it is JUST for the chili seeds - was surprised they need the soil so warm (25-35C from what I've read so far.....)

I must have a warm house then, never had any problem.  May have to re-assess my carbon footprint!

Rob the rake

Paper pot question
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 07:27 »

(Speaks too soon?).

Mushy, I manage without an electric propagator by sowing pepper seeds in lidded half-trays balanced on top of a radiator. A folded-up towel buffers the temperature and prevents overheating. As soon as they're up, I move them to a South-facing window, and transfer them to the (unheated) greenhouse in late Spring.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

WG.

Paper pot question
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 07:38 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
 As soon as they're up,
I totally agree.  I have posted on this subject myself.  Once you have achieved germination then increase light and decrease warmth (consistent with species, of course).

mashauk

Paper pot question
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 12:07 »

(Speaks too soon?).

As per my other post tamarorganics.co.uk are doing them for £5 plus 95p postage at the moment.

xx
paper pots

Started by DrGreenthumb on Equipment Shed

19 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 14:31
by sowitgrowit
xx
paper pots

Started by rowlandwells on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2018, 17:27
by rowlandwells
xx
Paper Potter

Started by JCloth on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 10:01
by JCloth
xx
Paper potter, anyone tried them? Any good?

Started by mtoyne on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 08:28
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 38 queries.