Getting behind

• 5 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Getting behind
« on: June 05, 2010, 20:13 »
Hi All

Never realised how much time my allotment would take - dont get me wrong I love it especially when my daughter comes over and sits picking and eating fresh spinach.  I had it all up todate then I go away for the weekend and with half term as well I just feel I will never catch up, the weeds are taking over, my strongest pumpkin plant has been broken, my celeriac is pretty poorly, my courgettes, squash and sweetcorn are not even planted out yet.  Sorry moan over - on a positive note I did do a little digging and uncovered a spud yesterday so looks like our lunch tomorrow is sorted!

Roll on the football plenty of evenings to catch up :D

PennyS

• My website
Re: Getting behind
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 20:40 »
Don't worry you're probably not really behind at all.
You can soon catch up on the weeding and there's still time to sow lots of things. Think of all the time and faff you are saving by sowing direct!  :)
I'm also looking forward to the World Cup - it'll give me a great excuse to be outdoors on the plot  :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 20:53 »
Don't worry too much Missy it can often seem like you are behind but a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon can really make a difference.

For me, the world cup is an opportunity to watch football which I love.  I will also be doing some exam marking at home, so I am worried that over the next few weeks the weeds will get on top of me, but I will do my best. 

The fact I have to go to the plot at least once a day to sort out with the chickens helps as it is easier to do 5 mins of weeding when you are there rather than being at home and thinking that 5 mins won't make much difference.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 21:00 »
I only planted out the beans this week, and the sweetcorn / squash / courgettes won't go out till next weekend now, probably.

Don't worry, you're not that far behind many of us!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 21:15 »
Thanks everyone :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 22:51 »
I think this year will prove interesting. We are all programmed to grow plants at certain times of the year. i.e shallots in March and then we get potatoes planted in April an so on. But in N Wales we have had a month of frost and a north wind which has been persistant. Here am I planting in a winter's coat and expecting potatoes to be ready in 10 weeks. I don't think so. My peas have hardly grown at all, the celery has stood still. Last year I was picking Broad Bean on the 19th June. Today they are still in flower!
I have no doubt this will reflect in the price of food later on and as for the vegetable shows, the winning carrot might just be 2" long!!

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 38 queries.