Zombie scallions experiment

• 4 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Zombie scallions experiment
« on: October 03, 2020, 11:38 »
Our family uses scallions from the grocery, but sometimes not all of the bunch is used before they are past their prime.  Not rotten, but often yellowed instead of green, and sometimes developing odd curves.  I think of these as "zombie scallions" because they aren't dead, but getting close. 

I was getting ready to toss some of these into the compost heap with the coffee grounds and fruit peels, when I noticed some were sprouting roots. Instead of tossing them, I took them to a corner of one of the garden beds, poked a few holes in the ground with an old tire iron, and put a zombie scallion in each hole. After a couple weeks, they are growing again (the growing dead!  :lol:). I put another few in the same garden bed last night. They are spindly because they are shaded now by larger summer-season plants, but I expect the scallions will grow better once frost hits the summer vegetables and I cut those summer plants out.  I am hoping to harvest them from time to time during the winter and spring.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 17:50 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

grinling

Re: Zombie scallions experiment
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 12:35 »
Remember to check around the roots for white fluff as this will mean white onion rot, making the ground unusable for onions

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 20:34 »
Hi Grinling

No, I didn't see any fungus around the roots.  Since the ones from a couple weeks ago are growing, I assume we are in the clear.  I agree it's a good idea to keep a watch for that.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 23:34 »
Have done the same myself with scallions that have been in the fridge too long !
They come back to life remarkably well and your Zombie name will apply to future resurrections. :)

If i have spring onions left over in a bed i need for new stuff they handle a move quite well.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 20:54 »

What's in a name?

Scallions
Syboes
Spring Onions
Green Onions
STOP, and smell the roses!

xx
Zombie onions...

Started by Beklet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 23:42
by Beklet
xx
scallions.....

Started by chooknewbie on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 16:51
by mumofstig
xx
Pea experiment

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 17:25
by Salmo
xx
Experiment

Started by scott87 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 13:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 42 queries.