Steamers

• 16 Replies

dawninspain

Steamers
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:57 »
Has anyone used an electric steamer for cooking veg etc? Are they one of those things that just end up in a cupboard or are they worth buying?

Thanks

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Steamers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03 »
We use ours nearly every day, but it's one that goes on a hob not a plug in one.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

Steamers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:24 »
We love steamed food, Dawn, so I'd say, Yes.

Advantage over the cooker one (which I use more often these day) is the timer. You can just forget about it and do whatever else, several layers and dividers allow for all dinner to go in. 8)

Juices in bottom container are intense with flavour for stocks, sauces soups. :tongue2:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Steamers
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 13:16 »
I use ours nearly every day but like Richy's it's a hob top one.  But its like a lot of electrical things, you'll either use it or you won't.  my friend's friend has to buy every electrical gadget going, but they use it once then stick it in the  cupboard.

But steamers are good!!!!!

chrissie B

Steamers
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 14:15 »
i have the cooker one its great and my daughter has an electeric one just as good , i do rice pudding in mine recipie posted on forum some where , and its so quick with the veg as well .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

brucesgirl

Steamers
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 15:23 »
I have a hob top one as well. It has been used daily for about ten years now.
 :D

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Steamers
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 15:01 »
I have an electric steamer and find it really good especially at Christmas when I can have lots of veg cooking away and the hob is free for all the other stuff you have to cook at Christmas.  Also as it has a timer I can just fill it up with water and forget about it.

Hubby steamed some fish in it the other day too and it was lovely so maybe we will use it a bit more this year.  :D
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

mushroom

Re: Steamers
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 15:31 »
Quote from: "dawninspain"
Has anyone used an electric steamer for cooking veg etc? Are they one of those things that just end up in a cupboard or are they worth buying?

Thanks

I'm looking to buy one this weekend. I already have a stainless one that goes on the hob but it's not high enough/doesnt hold enough for 2 people having a good helping of fresh steamed veg. And it doesnt have a timer. Steaming veg is the very best for preserving vitamin content.

If you want a roastie that is floury inside and crispy on the outside, steam it first then roast in goose fat ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Steamers
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 15:42 »
We've got a leccy one.

It's great - fill it, turn the knob, leave it. 3 lots of veg cooked for one lot of power.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

noshed

Steamers
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 16:51 »
I've got a thing with holes in which sits on a saucepan. I didn't know you could get electric ones.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Nikkithefoot

Steamers
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 21:05 »
I have two electric steamers and one hob top one  :oops:

I've virtually worn out one electric one (5yrs), so use it mostly as a slow cooker, the other electric one will be next to go (2yrs old now). The electrical bits still work fine, its just the baskets start cracking and the 'holey' bases split in two with continual use. (Used nearly every day) To replace the baskets is horrendously expensive, it actually is cheaper to get the most up to date model new rather than replace baskets! The hob top one doesn't get used so much now, but is 30yrs plus old (was my mums). The 'juice' from the steaming gets used for gravy.

Wouldn't be without one now.

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Steamers
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 21:13 »
we're onto our second one now - couldn't live without it!

mushroom

Steamers
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 20:24 »
Bought an electric steamer today. What a revelation. Did rice, courgettes and broccoli for 2 people all at once. I was very impressed especially with the courgettes - the taste steamed is infinitely better than boiled. The rice was perfect. What have i been missing. The electric steamer does much better than the hob one, which I'll probably give away now.

dawninspain

Steamers
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:52 »
Thank you everyone for your replies.  I shall definitely get one - electric probably as they seem to have some advantages over the hob top ones.

Good idea about par cooking the roasties in one Mushroom - I can imagine that works well. By the way Mushroom is your allotment at the back of Prittlewell Chase near the hospital? I used to work at the hospital and we lived in Harcourt Avenue - my mum still lives in Eastwood.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Steamers
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 10:58 »
One of the big advantage with the electric ones is that you've still got all the gas hob free to cook more with!

xx
Steamers

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 20:22
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 28 queries.