Feeding raised beds

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

Feeding raised beds
« on: January 10, 2018, 15:00 »
I grow all my veg in raised beds. In June I will be sewing seed directly into them. I have bought some 6X to improve the soil but am unsure when to apply it.

So my question really is how long before sewing seed should I apply the 6X so that it isn't too rich for the emerging seedlings?

I have tried going to 6X website but it seems to be down at the moment.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Feeding raised beds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 15:25 »
6x site says
Seed Sowing...
 Prepare your seed bed in the usual way, then sprinkle 1 ounce of 6X Natural Fertiliser per square yard and rake well in. When the seeds are well established a further sprinkling can be applied as needed, to continue vigorous growth.
Transplanting...
 In order that the transplants have a rich food bank to maintain a good, healthy and vigorous growth, rake in 4 to 5 ounces of 6X Natural Fertiliser per square yard about two weeks prior to planting.

http://www.6-x.co.uk/directions.htm

Personally, although that seems to say that you can 'sprinkle and sow' - I would use it a couple of weeks before sowing  ;)

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 17:31 »
I've used 6Xwhenplanting haven't had any probs and I really believe in 6X as a good fertilizer although I still use an NPK as well

hadn't thought about spreading 6X prior to planting a couple of weeks before but going to give that a go sounds a good idea

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:43 »
Thank you :D I found a good website which says spread 6X 'at least a week before sewing' so a couple of weeks sounds a good idea. I am going to use this for all my beds growing leafy crops; cabbages, salad, rhubarb and courgettes etc

However it seems as if there is too much nitrogen for root crops in 6X. Do you feed your root crops or just apply a good thick layer of compost a couple of months ahead?

One source suggest a general fertilizer low in nitrogen ( 5-10-10) a fortnight before sewing but i am struggling to find an organic fertilizer with this combination. Another suggestion is to apply a little bonemeal at the time of sewing to provide the seedlings with phosphorus to promote root growth.

What are the secretes to fantastic root veg?

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08 »
hi ,

last year was my best yet for carrots , parsnips and most other veg  were good and i did the following

3 weeks before any planting or sowing i gave a liberal feeding with 6 x  and i mean a very generous feed , i didnt rake it in or anything like that i just left it wash in and get in during the usual routine such as hoeing and raking

really un scientific but it worked

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:16 »
I'd apply a general fertiliser like Blood, Fish and Bone for roots, if you don't want to use 6x

xx
Feeding Raised Beds after the first year

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 21:47
by yummy
xx
Feeding my raised vegetable beds

Started by ceeci on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 14:32
by ceeci
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
RAISED BEDS

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

75 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 15:27
by senrab_nhoj

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 37 queries.