What was the worst gadget you bought?

• 22 Replies

compostqueen

Re: What was the worst gadget you bought?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 12:41 »
Mine didn't produce any pulp!  :D  It just sort of squashed the fruit (thinking orange), flattened it and that was it  :nowink:  This was Kenwood  >:(  I returned it and got a refund. Bah

LotuSeed

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 23:35 »
One of those hand crank apple peeler/corer thing-a-majiggs. It's was terrible. Peeled off way too much fruit and sliced them way too thin. The other was a victorio food mill. Sure it got the skins off and the seeds out, but I can do that myself without all the annoyance and extra pieces to clean up afterwards!!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 23:54 »
One of those hand crank apple peeler/corer thing-a-majiggs. It's was terrible. Peeled off way too much fruit and sliced them way too thin. The other was a victorio food mill. Sure it got the skins off and the seeds out, but I can do that myself without all the annoyance and extra pieces to clean up afterwards!!
I've got one of those apple peelers and they work if you have a perfectly round apple with the core going straight through the centre.  But sadly none of mine have been like that and it is more trouble than it is worth.
Anne

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 06:03 »
I use my peeler loads, but I do bag fulls at once for the dehydrator I just cut the extra bits out at the end.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

LotuSeed

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 09:33 »
Yeah I got both gadgets because I usually have large amount of produce at one time to process for canning. I still found it easier to peel, core and slice 30+ lbs of apples by hand, rather than try to do them with that darned gadget. There was way too much fight to get the apples to stay perfectly centered on the three prongs and to get the peeler to actually work, but then having to go back after all that work to cut off/out the bad pieces or missed peel was just ridiculously tedious.  :ohmy:
It was the same with the passata machine/ food mill. I found that I was spending more time and energy, creating more dirty dishes to clean and experiencing loads more frustration/aggravation trying to get the thing to work properly. That machine was an utter nightmare!  :mad:

In the end both items were returned. And I've decided that if a gadget can't save me time, energy, dishes and frustration, over doing things by hand, then I can't be bothered with it.  :tongue2:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:39 »
It was the same with the ... food mill. I found that I was spending more time and energy, creating more dirty dishes to clean and experiencing loads more frustration/aggravation trying to get the thing to work properly

I have a stainless steel food mill (new, but just like the old fashion Mouli that my mother had had for millennia ...) which I find invaluable for getting the stringy bits and skin out of, for example, home made soup.  Seems easy to wash - a rinse under the tap is normally enough, but it will happily go in the dishwasher if needs be

I wonder if your food mill is different in some way?

LotuSeed

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 14:48 »
The one I tried out looked like this...
I've actually considered getting one like the one in your picture as it would be handy for getting seeds out of soft fruit and it looks fairly easy to clean.
image.jpg

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 16:28 »
I've actually considered getting one like the one in your picture as it would be handy for getting seeds out of soft fruit and it looks fairly easy to clean.

I haven't tried it for that, but I cannot use the finest sieve for soup (takes ALL the goodness out!!) and my Mother used to make a coulis with hers, so I reckon it should do what you want.

I tried to buy one with three sieve sizes, but could only find decent stainless steel ones with two.  I have a relatively small diameter one, ideal for my soups (1L or so), but Mother had a bigger one and for any volume of processing I think that would be better - dearer though :(

xx
What's your most used gadget?

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

23 Replies
Last post October 29, 2014, 20:34
by Madame Cholet
xx
Meatballs .. is there a gadget to make them?

Started by madcat on Kitchen Natter

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2018, 13:31
by madcat
xx
just bought a halogen oven £39.00

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

21 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 07:48
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 38 queries.