Fox proofing for our chickens

• 83 Replies

tode

Re: Fox proofing for our chickens
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2009, 16:16 »
Shouldn't leave your car-keys laying about ........   ;)

too many girls

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2009, 17:13 »
fox ud find em, they're good at that.................

poultrygeist

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2009, 17:39 »
Is it them that hide remote controls too ?  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2009, 18:20 »
Shouldn't leave your car-keys laying about ........   ;)

they probably know how to hot wire the car as well  :lol:

Is it them that hide remote controls too ?  :unsure:

Think that must be where mine has gone  >:(
Staffies are softer than you think.

too many girls

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2009, 20:49 »
next time i see a fox i might ask him how to program the video..........

lightyears

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2009, 23:29 »
video? now thats a bit old hat, the fox can set sky+ to record in norwich

too many girls

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2009, 13:47 »
i still have a million video's, therefore i still have a video player that i haven't been able to program since 1985 when i bought it :D

i also have a tv video dvd combi and i can't program that either :tongue2:

too many girls

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2009, 13:47 »
i can set the clock tho :tongue2:

tode

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2009, 15:25 »
Just watch out that Fox doesn't set your video, then empty your coop while you're watching    :ohmy:

Expedite

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2010, 09:41 »
New to the forums only recently found them and thought i would post a handy little gadget we now use here in Australia on our small farm.

We have chooks and new lambs each year and since buying one of these - http://www.foxlights.com/ as a tester have not seen a fox near the house area where we keep our chooks since. I dont know if he ships overseas but the Fox Light has one quite a few Aussie awards.

We plan on getting around 4 and setting up a full grid around the yards near the house.

Happy to pass on any more info on how it works and so forth if people are interested.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2010, 10:22 »
hello expedite and welcome, why not nip on over to the welcome forum and introduce yourself to us all properly. I don't know if this foxlight would work over hear as we have lots of urban foxes that have been known to take chickens in broad daylight even when people have been near - but not near enough to stop it happening  :(. It might work though for rural foxes who are more afraid of humans.

Junie

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2010, 10:03 »
Back in November, Fen described his set up for fox proofing.  My hens are fully free range - I love to see them.  However we have lost 4 in the last 2 weeks, 2 yesterday at around midday.  they have an outdoor run of about 3 by 3 metres and a 3 x4 metre concrete brick henhouse, which they are locked in overnight. ( I now have 10 hens and one cockerel ) We are planning an orchard and I would like to have my hens wandering in there during the day.  Fens description of a 200 yd by 200 yd enclosure sounded perfect.  This is my first post so cannot send a personal message but would love some more information on his fence, size of wire , and if possible a picture.   Thanks

Knight Family

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2010, 12:20 »
well for your Orchard I would recomend an electric fence, thats my plan when I purchase one tonight, ready for the weekend....
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Junie

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2010, 08:27 »
Have recently bought a small electric fence ( 25 metres to see how it goes ) We have to carry the chickens to it for the day, but they run back home in the evening.  They seem much happier since we brought out their nestboxes, only one escapee on the first day,, trying to get back to lay an egg.  So far so good after about 3 weeks and when we get out orchard going we will probably use electric fencing.  It has been good to see all the advice on this thread and helped me make my decision.

My neighbour swears playing his radio, near the hen house.  We did wonder what on earth he was on about ( our French is not brilliant and his accent is difficult to understand sometimes) but he turns it on about 4pm - says it works for him!  Bit my hits were at midday nd I actually saw the fox sitting by the henhouse at 12.30 in the afternoon, it did not run when it saw me - only when my Jack Russel took chase!

Rita

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2010, 22:10 »
great to see everyone doing there best to deter the fox and keeping your chicks and ducks safe as possible.
i am always looking out for ideas how to keep them safe, without killing the fox.
some great ideas keep them coming, i had one on the patio looking in at the chickens, lucky there electric door was still shut and not opened up to let them out in the field other wise they would of been goners for sure, keeping the door shut for longer now so that i am up and about when they come out of there enclosure.

xx
Rats and Chickens

Started by mambo on Poultry FAQs and other Information

38 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 12:56
by HPC
xx
On first buying chickens.

Started by Bodger on Poultry FAQs and other Information

17 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 14:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
So you are thinking about getting chickens

Started by joyfull on Poultry FAQs and other Information

0 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 21:31
by joyfull
xx
3. Digestive Infections in Chickens

Started by Aunt Sally on Poultry FAQs and other Information

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 19:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.