10x15m overgrown allotment with lots of mounds and trenches.. oh and wasps!

• 7 Replies

greenfingeredmum

Hi

We've just taken on our first allotment (have grown veg in garden but not on big scale) and it is well overgrown with everything from nettles to brambles and lots I dont know!

We have also inherited some very strange features - 5 3m long trenches that are around 3-4ft deep and the massive piles of soil that had been taken out.

We cut all the weeds etc down at the weekend and they're currently filling the trenches. But on doing so we discovered an underground wasps nest (problem no 1). We haven't located an entrance but are thinking the petrol route.

The weeds are trickier. We obviously need to fill the trenches and get rid of the mounds and get rid of weeds. Im against wide spread weed killer (too pricey) but obviously we don't want to wait ages to start getting it cultivated. I'm thinking black plastic in sections then dig each in turn. If we do this, how soon before we get stuff in the ground.

I've heard people mention potatoes as good crops for new sites, would this help?

Any tips greatly received  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
unless you wish to clear/dig a space quickly to get some overwintering onions in, there's not much else to plant now!
There's no hurry at this time of year as you've got from now to march (when the spring sowing/planting starts) to clear it ;)

Potatoes don't in themselves clear the ground, but the deep cultivation involved in growing them, means that you do the work to clear the land.  :D

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
You could use one of the trencehes as next years bean trench, fill it up with green bin waste and carboard then in the spring top it with soil and plant your beans.
Paul

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Do not use petrol.  Apart from the very obvious safety issue, do you really want to contaminate your plot with this?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
You can buy aerosol wasp killer in DIY stores that is safe to use  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

When I moved into my current house it came with a huge wasps nest. The pest control guy told me to wait til evening when the wasps were in bed and then dust the entrance hole with a new puffer spray of ant powder. It worked first time

You could leave the wasp nest alone if it's not in the way as they will clear off when it gets cold.

simonwatson

The wasps should be slowing down now it's getting cold. Once the activity stops, you should be able to just dig the nest out. They only operate once it gets really cold so you just need to time you digging so that it's cold but not frozen.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 13:58 by simonwatson »

Ricey

Once you have a section prepared, you can sow green manure which conditions soil, supresses weeds and can be dug in for fertilizer come spring.
There's plenty of info in this forum on green manure and a google search throws up lots of links.
Good luck with the new lotty .
(And don't use petrol)

xx
My 'new' allotment - all overgrown

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2018, 17:52
by Silva
exclamation
Very Overgrown Allotment

Started by Supergiles on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 16:38
by Starling
xx
Overgrown allotment offered, but no water on tap!

Started by Gareth W-D on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 18:15
by Sadgit
xx
Hi from a new overgrown allotment holder in south wales

Started by missgreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 09, 2015, 17:03
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 37 queries.