Potatoes 2011: which varieties are you NOT growing

• 26 Replies

purplebean

Re: Potatoes 2011: which varieties are you NOT growing
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 20:12 »
I won't be growing pentland javelin again

I'm surprised so many don't like king eddies I love them but I only ever roast them yum  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 22:27 »
I won't be growing Sarpo Axona again. Tried them last year and they're another one that's impossible to boil without disintegrating, and the skins are horrible, like a bad case of eczema.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 08:48 »
I won't be growing Sarpo Axona again. Tried them last year and they're another one that's impossible to boil without disintegrating, and the skins are horrible, like a bad case of eczema.

Now that's an image I didn't need over breakfast  ;) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 17:03 »
not growing Jersey Royals this year not available from supplier so trying Nicola instead never grown them before Desiree is my choice for the  main crop just need to get an early variety depends whats on offer ;)

used to grow Majestic good cropper and Arron pilot but found Desiree do better on my lottie all red spuds seem to do pretty well on the lottie tried PJ'S not impressed by the crop i keep meaning to try a variety called Record we used to grow them on the farm where i worked but they where more of baking or chipping  spud but they used to crop well  doe's anyone grow them i am susceptible about growing other varieties from what your been saying its good to get advise before you jump in feet first i have noted the replies on certain varieties that have been grown  :unsure:

i think i said before on this site that i never used any fertilizer last year it was noticeable on the spud crop so back to fert this year boys :D :D

gypsy

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 17:44 »
Not growing red duke of york as they boiled away, not growing any of the purple varieties as they look amazing but are not very tasty.
Catherine

TheSpartacat

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 18:14 »
I've never found any spud that i disliked the taste of, and thats the only criteria I would put something on my "never again" list.

Everything else that can or has gone wrong and effected yield, like weather etc might not be the same in other years... and what the slugs ravage on my plot isn't always repeated on someone else's plot.... i just LOVE spuds, i do! I can't hold anything against them  :D :D :D

The one thing i WON'T ever do again is grow in bags.... i found it so hard to water them- the water wouldnt penetrate the soil and just came gushing out the bottom rather than soak through, and the yields were lousy compared to the ones in the ground that had half the growing time.

Me and container growing for spuds don't see eye to eye, though i accept others do well with it.

Togalosh

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 18:35 »
I'm not growing Mona Lisa ..they have been taken off my suppliers list & I'm gutted   ???
I tasted them in France last year & they were lush!

I'll not be growing Wilja either as they were terrible to cook - from uncooked to mush in 30 seconds...awful.

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 20:12 »
Hi all, Not growing King Teds this year as very small spuds last year, even though well watered.

Silky  :D :D :D
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

LittleSlugInTheNorth

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 20:21 »
Not growing Wilja as the skins tasted odd - or was that kestrel?  Definately going to start writing in my allotment diary though so I can remember what I don't want to grow again.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 21:04 »
will not be growing Pentlan Javelin either as I have quite heavy clay soil, despite adding muck, I found the PJ's didn't take well to the dry spring early summer conditions. All were affected by having high solanine levels and tasted disgusting, so for that reason will try something different, like foremost. Red varieties do better on my soil. I agree with others really depends on what weather conditions you have each year.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 12:36 »
Not doing PJ's as i didn't particulaly like the flavour, and not doing International Kidney, they were a disappointment. Tahnkfull I haven't seen anyone say anything about the type i am growing this year!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 14:06 »
not growing King edwards ever again  >:(. never got a good yield from them due to underground pests, and spuds were of a very small size  :ohmy:

Growing Nadines and Cara this year. Next year will try something else like Red Duke of York

question
Tomatoes 2011: which varieties are you NOT growing

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 12:53
by totalnovice
xx
First Early Potatoes 2011 - What are you growing?

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

74 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 13:55
by mumofstig
xx
Maincrop Potatoes 2011 - What are you growing?

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 00:04
by Marston
xx
Which potato varieties have you grown this year - 2011?

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

83 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 22:50
by hanssg

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 33 queries.