Onions followed by....onions

• 5 Replies

kittiwake

Onions followed by....onions
« on: August 14, 2009, 21:21 »
As my first year as a proper allotment holder I have finally got to grips with the spring and summer parts of veg growing but am now trying to figure out growing stuff over winter. I have some informal crop rotation going such that one type of crop isnt planted in the same place for more than one year running but dont have the proper ''one specific group of veg should follow another specific sort'' regime of true crop rotation.

So in drawing up my plans for next year I have discovered that the best place suitable for the overwintering onions is where this springs planted onions were. Will this be a problem ? The spring 2010 planting of onion sets will be planted elsewhere on the plot when the time comes.

A few of this years onions went a bit mouldy in the July rain but I have left the ground fallow for a few weeks to give the soil a mini break. Will my plan be ok or should I try and alter it ?

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

Kitti

pushrod

Re: Onions followed by....onions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 21:58 »
You can grow onions in the same place year on year as long as you do not get disease in the soil, but you do need to put plenty of nutrients back into the soil in between crops.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

kittiwake

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 22:21 »
Thanks pushrod.

I will treat the soil  to a dressing of pelleted chicken poo before I put them in then. Hopefully that will keep them happy.

Kitti

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 22:30 »
Be careful if you have white rot in the soil.... using the same patch for onions may encourage it........ I think I read something on the forum about this??  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kittiwake

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:59 »
Thanks Learner,

Just looked up white rot and think some of the onions had this. I better revise my plans then. Now I just have to work out what overwinntering veg I can put in the old onion bed.  :unsure:

kitti

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:02 »
Since I lifted my garlic (June to avoid white rot and rust) I have planted courgettes and butternut squash and a few lettuce in the same place.

Where the onions were now contains a row of beetroot transplanted from small cells where they germinated and several rows of transplanted wallflowers - to be moved to the garden's flowerbeds late autumn.

After that, what was the onion bed, will remain idle through the winter - be dug over and have compost added then rotovated in the spring. I don't think it does any harm to give some patches a winter rest if you have the space.  ;)

Next year I may use some of this space for an early french bean crop.... I've most of the winter to think on this one though!!  ;)

Best of luck!  :)

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 36 queries.