Is it too late for fungicide after blight's been sighted?

• 5 Replies

jamesbrownontheroad

Is it too late for fungicide after blight's been sighted?
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:08 »
A neighbouring plot holder (who has, apparently, for more than ten successive years, grown shop bought potatoes in the same beds) allowed countless potato plants to become blighted this summer, and left them for about a fortnight before removing them. Luckily all ours were earlies and up, but our other neighbour's plants became blighted, and now our tomato plants (inside our shed) have been struck. Hardly a surprise, though, given the horrid damp conditions we've had in Glasgow :(

This is our first summer, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. With one blighted plant removed and the first signs of it appearing on the four other plants, is it too late to treat the remaining and mostly healthy plants with a fungicide? Or is all hope lost?

Thanks

gillie

Re: Is it too late for fungicide after blight's been sighted?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 15:57 »
You could try a really thorough spraying with dithane, but I fear all is lost.

Incidentally, I don't think blight on neighbouring plots has much to do with infecting your plants.  Blight spores are everywhere  and airborne and will multiply when they get the right conditions.

Gillie

titch

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 16:58 »
i sprayed some of mine that were next to blighted ones (tomatoes) with borduaex (sp) mixture and for the most part the plants have been ok, seemed to stop any in its tracks...........but - as for fruit, they had a few small toms on but dont think they have done anything more for a while

not much of an answer really sorry, next year either blight resistant varieties or i will spray -
just keep breathing................

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 17:22 »
Sadly the plant we lost was one of three grafted 'Turbo Tom' plants bought from Dobies, and described as having excellent blight resistance. Guess who cr@p Glaswegian summer and environs haven't been good enough for 'em ...

Never mind. First summer of growing, I'm not disappointed with what we've got out and next year will be even better...  ;)

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 17:28 »
Remember that if you spray with dithane you should wait 7 days before harvesting any more fruit.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 17:31 »
The few earlies and all the Golden Wonder maincrop spuds showed start of blight at the end of July - I did spray with Dithane in mid-June as a preventative measure as we'd had some humid weather. I sprayed again with copper fungicide as the packet stated you could use it at the first signs, then again a fortnight later. It did slow it down but eventually I decided to cut the haulms back about 3 weeks ago and, so far, the pots have been ok. Need to get them all out now as it's been bleating down here and they are getting slug damage wich my OH chef hates to see.  
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Late tomato blight

Started by Eno on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2023, 17:41
by missmoneypenny
xx
Fungicide

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 20:55
by 4 Seasons
xx
planting asparagus & fungicide ?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 12:53
by mark.carline
xx
fruit tree fungicide

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 15:35
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 36 queries.