Vegetable Boxes

• 20 Replies

Leisurely

Vegetable Boxes
« on: November 21, 2008, 20:16 »
I am thinking about starting a vegetable box scheme (selling) in my area, offering home grown or locally sourced veg. Do any others on this site do similar, what do you think, any ideas or suggestions.

garddwr

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 20:19 »
I would love to try something like that so any advice would be great. You'd have to think about prices as well. And I think you would have to wait til harvesting season ? /June/July/August/September

Beetroot queen

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 20:21 »
I used to have a box delivered from riverford

excellent never had any problems with them infact I cancelled to go on hols and forgot to restart again, may have to look into topping up any veg we grow with a box from them, you would have to do alot of research as its a tough market and it comes with alot of competition  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 21:51 »
Sounds an adventurous idea, but you do realise that you can't use your allotment to grow produce for it?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 22:05 »
Quote from: "Yorkie1"
Sounds an adventurous idea, but you do realise that you can't use your allotment to grow produce for it?

Yes, thats true  :cry:
But you can set up a friends and family veg box scheme,with not neccesarily cash payments.  Thats what I will do if I EVER grow enough (not sure if I can manage enough for me and my immediate, its a bad thing to be addicted to peas)  :shock:  :?  :D

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

garddwr

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 22:16 »
can I ask peapod which varieties do you like best ? And are peas hard to grow ?

thanks

compostqueen

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 10:13 »
you can't use your allotment for it :!:  

Of course you can't  8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 10:38 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"

Of course you can't  8)

Best re-phrased as "not supposed to!". :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 11:33 »
Nowt wrong in swapping, I swap veg for eggs with a couple who have chucks. I wonder if you could get away with swapping veg for cash  :wink:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

shaun

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 11:35 »
thats one thing about allotments that i love .its a bit like swap shop but without noel  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

garddwr

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 12:46 »
Quote from: "DD."

Of course you can't  8)

I agree Dave. I mean how are they going to now youre doing it,if they found out then you could deny it.Its not like youre going to be running a buisness empire.

Oscar Too

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 16:52 »
I used to work as a buyer/business developer for a veg box scheme (that shall remain nameless) in London.  I'm off to Moscow for work for a week, but I'm happy to answer questions to the best of my ability when I return.  

For now, suffice to say that it can be a very tricky business.  Depending on your market of course, but people wanted certain staples all year round which were often difficult to source, freshness along the supply chain was a huge problem, and customers often wanted supermarket standards of cleanliness, for local market prices.

I did a bit of business with Riverford, and I know that they invested hugely in their packing and cleaning operation to address some of these issues.

Payment is also a problem.  The best scheme I ever saw never handled a pound coin - everything was done via direct debit.  However this meant that they didn't reach anyone who had low or irregular incomes.  Processing cash, cheques and DDs cost our scheme a huge amount - we had a very large back office.

Another scheme that I admire hugely, based in Dublin, old friends of mine, have a social agenda.  They distribute a lot of boxes via a women's refuge - figuring that people in that situation need good food.

In short, you'll need to do most of your work before you put a seed in a pot.  Who is my market? What do they want?  What spread of veg and seasons can I cover?  How do I control quality?  How is my credit control?  This applies even if it's a really small, local scheme.

I'll be back in a week if you want to carry on the discussion.

Best

Oscar

Parsnip

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 17:07 »
Quote from: "garddwr"
Quote from: "DD."

Of course you can't  8)

I agree Dave. I mean how are they going to now youre doing it,if they found out then you could deny it.Its not like youre going to be running a buisness empire.

after all you'd only be accepting contributions towards your expenses... :wink:  8)

Kate and her Ducks

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 17:14 »
Quote from: "Oscar Too"

Another scheme that I admire hugely, based in Dublin, old friends of mine, have a social agenda.  They distribute a lot of boxes via a women's refuge - figuring that people in that situation need good food.

Oscar

What a wonderful idea.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Knoblauch

Vegetable Boxes
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 00:21 »
I started getting a veg box from a local source in Herefordshire, can't remember the name OTTOMH.  The first box, left on the doorstep with no prior warning, was nicked so I just had some documentation shoved through the post box apparently "billing in advance", no other explanation or anything, then for the duration of my using them they kept rebilling for this though they told me they would cover it.  I also wanted no potatoes and even though it said this on the box label I still always got them.  Then got their email address wrong so when they didn't reply got naffed off and cancelled, but it was their fault really.  Not a happy situation.

Then Abel and Cole until a local organic shop opened - their customer service by contrast was excellent but I always wondered if the food was shipped halfway up the country and still get junk mail from them now.

xx
veg boxes...

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 21:54
by Beetroot queen
xx
Bug and Bee boxes

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 20:15
by SAMANTHA MOLLY
xx
Mix for boxes

Started by alan bell on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 22:31
by alan bell
xx
Which spud for boxes?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2017, 17:11
by Aidy

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 34 queries.