Preparing ground for apple and plum trees.

• 2 Replies

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« on: October 02, 2008, 22:22 »
Hi all,

I'm getting a plum and apple tree delivered soon and was wondering if there's anything I need to do to prepare the ground for them? And is either better at coping with wind than the other (one will be better sheltered than the other). Ooh - not sure if it makes a difference but they're a Bountiful and a Victoria - keep thinking 'plum pudding'...slurp!

Dunk

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 00:28 »
Both are equally tough varieties and would survive wind. But do be sure to stake the windiest location well and run some old hosepipe through the rope/string/whatever you use to hold the tree. This will avoid excessive bark damage from the tree moving back and forth.

Since the trees will be there a long time, give the holes the best you can. I dug mine out 2-3 ft deep where possible, gave the empty hole a good drink as sometimes its ages before rainfall penetrates that far. Then bung in old manure, some bone & blood meal and I also throw in some mycorhyzal (sp?) bacteria which encourages feeder roots. Add some soil then more manure, etc and a bit more water. Set the trees in their holes at the same height they sit in their pots, no deeper, no higher. And always firm in the soil well as you go. Air pockets are death to tree roots. I like to heavily mulch all my trees and water often the first few years unless you get heavy rain years. After that, they can cope on their own other than pruning and picking.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 00:06 »
Thanks for the advice Trillium - just what I needed to know! I'll manage a couple of foot, after that the flint pebbles make it impossible! Loads of old manure  up the road too so I'll make sure they're well fed ;)

Cheers!

xx
preparing ground for plum tree

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 20:24
by Pip Judgeford
xx
Question re apple and plum trees

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 00:14
by solway cropper
xx
Pear, plum and apple trees in Scotland

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 15:14
by dmg
xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 35 queries.