Hello

• 4 Replies

dylan

Hello
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:05 »
I have been reading the forums for a few months now and decided to join, and would love to say HELLO. My neighbour and I have had our plot since last September and its going really well with loads of vegetables growing. Its such a joy to sit on our bench with our coffee looking at all our produce growing, but it is hard work when you work all week. We want to make sure that we also have produce growing throughout the winter, my question is, what can we grow and when should we start sowing?  Is it to late to sow Parsnips?  Before I go I must say that all the Allotmenteers on our site are the most nicest and helpful people and we always leave with some sort of vegetable to cook and I cant wait untill we can return the favour with some of our produce.  

:)

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Hello
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:23 »
Hiya Dylan

Welcome to the forums

Bit late for parsnip really but anything is worth a try just put a row in and see what happens chances are the crop will be small but should be very tasty

Good Luck
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Hello
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:26 »
Agreed & welcome from me also.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

Hello
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 14:15 »
Hello

I've not got my 2008 plotting underway properly as yet but have high hopes. Not got a beetroot seed sown yet due to work pressures but there's still time

Kale is a good one for the hungry gap and Caul 'Igloo', chicory endive thing 'Cornet de Bordeux, all sorts of winter lettuces and even winter (spring-like) onions 'White Lisbon'  I have overwintered cabbage 'Hispi' as plants in the frame and cauli AYR so I get early brassicas, same with spinach 'Bordeaux' and pak choi and carrots, and leeks will stand well over winter

I read up on it in Joy Larkcom's Vegetable growing book from the library. Liked it very much so got a copy  :D  :D

dylan

Hello
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:28 »
Thank you for your replies.  I have got some Winter Cabbage seed and also Spring Cabbage seed which I will sow with weekend.   We put some Parsnip seed in last weekend, so fingers crossed.  I put some Spring Oinion seed in but only one has come up so far. But everything else is growing really well.  

This is our first plot so everything is trial and error.  I do have another question, how often should we be watering our plot, it is huge and I work,  so it is hard getting over there after work I normall spend all Friday on the plot and then Monday after work watering, is our produce getting enough water.  

Lastly, I must boast that our cabbages are growing so well, they are our first cabbages and I have taken photos of them to show off.  The other allotmenters are so kind and we never go home empty handed and I cant wait to share what we have growing.

:lol:

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.