BROCCOLLI

• 14 Replies

Glen

• Experienced Member
BROCCOLLI
« on: March 15, 2008, 18:58 »
Can anyone suggest a good Broccolli that i can plant now for harvest this year?

compostqueen

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 19:04 »
I reckon I got a packet of broc with the 10 free packets of seed offer on the front of the April ish of Kitchen Garden magazine  :D

I love broc and had never grown my own before last year but I was surprised by how easy it is.  I think I did Claret last year but did purple and white sprouting too, and calabrese

Bordeaux is a good one, and I hope Red Arrow is cos I've sown that from seed. I did mine in the greenhouse for planting out later.  They reckon Tenderstem is fab, and it's very expensive to buy in the shops.

You said to plant now, so if you want plants you'll have to get them from the garden centre or online from say Marshalls or Fothergills. They grow well from seed though  :D

Glen

• Experienced Member
BROCCOLLI
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 19:14 »
I was looking at buying started plants from organicplants.co.uk so i will have a look out for these varieties. I will see if i can find these you recommend as seeds tomorrow at my local garden centre.

Thanks for the help!

gobs

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 19:25 »
Is it sprouting broccoli you mean at all or broccoli as in the shops, calabrese in catalogues. Because the 1st is a late winter/ spring crop thank god, why would you want it this year? Don't know how well it would do trying that on, might just all bolt in the summer, possible.

Calabrese, is a very easy and depending on variety a fastish crop, any I've tried did well for me so far, just pick one.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Glen

• Experienced Member
BROCCOLLI
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 19:36 »
Sorry still a bit of a NOOB here!

I ment Calabrese lol, i have seen this variety 'Calabrese ''Iron Man F1'' would these be ok to plant now as started plants?

compostqueen

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 23:14 »
yes  :D

gobs

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 00:22 »
Quote from: "Glen"
Sorry still a bit of a NOOB here!

I ment Calabrese lol, i have seen this variety 'Calabrese ''Iron Man F1'' would these be ok to plant now as started plants?

I have never heard of tis variety, which does mean nothing, but makes me a bit wonder about if it was dead new or not a calabrese. Are you sure of what you are getting?

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
BROCCOLLI
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:08 »
Hi

Just thought I would get back about Compostqueen's comment about 10 free packets of seed with Kitchen Garden magazine.
We subscribe to this but did not get free seeds with the April issue.  When in Tesco though we noticed that the free seeds were included.  
Hubby got onto Kitchen Garden and they said that Tesco pay for the seeds themselves. My advice to anyone is don't subscribe but go to Tesco for your copy.
KG are sending us some seeds though.  Will cancel the subscription when they arrive.  :lol:
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

compostqueen

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:19 »
strange innit. I got mine from Tesco but my neighbour got his from the paper shop. He was short by one packet - the spring onions so maybe someone had nicked em. He had mine

Seems strange that if you subscribe you get penalised. You'd think if anything it would be the other way about

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
BROCCOLLI
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 11:24 »
Thanks Compstqueen.
KG told hubby that it was only Tesco that included the seeds.  I think a few little porkies have been told.  I am defo going to cancel my subscription as there are no benefits. :?

compostqueen

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 11:53 »
vote with your feet!  Best way  :D

Stripey_cat

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 13:08 »
If you like the sprouting sort, there are some newish strains that are late-summer/autumn cropping, from sowings now.  I'm trying Wok Broc, from T&M (promises harvest June if you sow now); I think the Tenderstem hybrids that are turning up in the supermarkets are available as seed too.

compostqueen

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 14:15 »
most expensive veg in the supermarkets earlier this year, or was it last, was sprouting broc so a real good one to grow from seed.

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
BROCCOLLI
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 17:05 »
We're just harvesting purple sprouting brocolli which we planted last Autumn. We're having some today with our Sunday roast, so must go and get cooking !!! ( I remember as a child my Nan used to serve it up to us sprinkled with salt and vinegar, scrumptious. A novel way to get kids to eat their greens !!! Mind you, that was LAST century !!)
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

compostqueen

BROCCOLLI
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 22:07 »
I love broc with pasta and a cheesey sauce  :D

xx
Broccolli leaves

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 21:19
by barney rubble
xx
broccolli cover

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 09:28
by Rob the rake
xx
broccolli attacked

Started by terrijane on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 13:24
by lightyears
xx
Broccolli question

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 15:07
by Aidy

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.