oh my lord whats a education for

• 22 Replies

muntjac

« on: November 12, 2006, 14:35 »
my sons up in glasgow at uni ,in his final year . ba masters nall that more o levels than i can count and he just called me , he is cooking a sunday dinner for his new gf......  his question is ,, dad how do you get your sausages to be brown all the way round im cooking toad in the hole and im frying the sausages first n need em browning first dont ?.. :roll:  its his mothers genes  not mine .  :roll:
still alive /............

shaun

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 15:04 »
i watched that new river cottage the other night and its amazing that the people on that show actually exist ,i can justify a teenager not being able to cook but grown men and women.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 12:50 »
Yep it is pretty scary, I must say HFW has gone up in my estimation after this series brilliant TV should be in the national curriculum and mandatory!!!!!!!!!  I used to think he was a bit eccentric now I think he's an eccentric genius. I can cook a bit do a mean fajita but I'd love the chance to spend a few days at his place learning.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 22:23 »
I used to think I knew how to cook, until I read his 'MEAT'.  Now I DO know how to cook.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 10:14 »
Think thats bad, when I first met the lass (she comes from Yorkshire) she said she would cook a full Sunday roast with all the trimmigs, so I said tip top propper yorkies (yorkshire pudding) a blankish expression was put on her face, at 11.30pm I caught her on the phone to her mother back in darkest mucky Mexborough asking how she does them. Now being Lancashire born and bred I could cook a Lanky with me eyes shut and hands tied. I thought its worth the hassle of being with a yorkie for the puddings. How wrong was I.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:17 »
And then to top it off, went to her mums and she used the wrong flour and we got pancakes, I rest my case about Yorkshire folk.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 11:00 »
I used to work in what you could describe as rough areas. The one thing that stuck in my head was people living on benefits who couldn't cook. Buying ready meals, pot noodles and takeaways (esp MacDonalds)

I don't understand why schools don't teach 'life skills' - cooking, cleaning, handling money. Before you laugh at cleaning - some of those house I went into were minging. One girl/woman with baby just sprayed some cleaner at her kitchen worktop and left it. Didn't know to wipe it after.

While I'm having a rant - they could also explain to the boys that it's macho to be able to cook - you wouldn't call Jamie Oliver a wimp.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 11:11 »
Quote from: "john"

While I'm having a rant - they could also explain to the boys that it's macho to be able to cook - you wouldn't call Jamie Oliver a wimp.

Nor Gordon F*****g Ramsey   :oops:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 11:36 »
I think you call Mr Ramsey Sir  - and check where the exits are before disturbing him.

Plus these guys must earn at pop-star levels.  Not such a bad role model. I'm waiting for 'Chef trashes hotel room during orgy' - all the lads will be discussing how to cook.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 11:50 »
Quote from: "john"

Quite agree with you John.  My hubby can cook, clean, iron, will tackle any DIY job,  has just layed a sandstone patio (looks good).

I can service my car (old one, no computers involved), dig the plot, wire a plug, put up a shelf, enjoy cooking and eating .

Neither of us would say I can't (don't) do that  :!:

He's better at is reaching high shelves,  I'm better at shopping  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 11:51 »
actually , rzant rzant on here , gordon ramsey is the epitome ( big werd 10 points ) of the school yard bully i would just love him to stand in front of me calling me names like he does the people he is supposed to be teaching id hit him so hard in the walnuts he would be singing soprano for the rest of his days , his show would not be called hells kitchen ,it would be " camp " cooking with gordon . how the hell  he gets away with the bullying and intimidation he carries out is beyond me . i wont even watch his shows anymore as to do so gives him permission to carry on , if this was anything other than the tv he would ahve been prosecuted

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 12:17 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
gordon ramsey...  

how the hell  he gets away with the bullying and intimidation he carries out is beyond me .

So true  :!:   It's that kind of example to young people that causes the problems of yob culture.  :twisted:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 12:32 »
I think the yob culture has deeper roots, I wont go there as it comes down to politcs and wars are started with politics and so called politicians.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 12:48 »
Jamie on the other hand seems to teach more in sorrow than in anger.  TV seems to love dramatic scenes - hence promoting GR to sream and yell.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 13:10 »
I have far more respect now for Jamie than Ramsey although in a cook off I think Ramsey would win. I never had the time for the Naked Chef, its was everything I hate about the south, but he has matured and when he did 15 I thought top guy, school dinners made it for me and now as I say I have a lot of respect for him.

xx
lord woolton soup.

Started by fish on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 19:02
by Wildeone
xx
whats about chutney

0 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 21:44
by fish
xx
Whats the difference please

Started by Ruby Red on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 22:20
by compostqueen
xx
whats about chutney!

0 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 15:26
by fish

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.