Climber for archway

• 7 Replies

rowe1311

Climber for archway
« on: September 01, 2012, 22:16 »
I am looking for a climber for our new archway.  It is west facing and very exposed to the wind.  I was thinking a climbing rose might be nice, but would like something that is good for wildlife especially pollinating bees and insects. 

If at all possible I want everything I buy for the garden to be good for wildlife, but also want it to look pretty with flowers and cope okay with the wind.   Any suggestions? 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Climber for archway
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 22:19 »
Honeysuckle definitely for bees etc, clematis too. I have that set up. :) There are many other options which others can suggest.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rowe1311

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 22:21 »
I already have a honeysuckle on the other arch, so was thinking of something else.  What Clematis might be long flowering and good for bees?  I don't have much experience with them. 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46 »
You get many different types of clematis. Some flower earlier in the summer and quite long like the pale pink flowered Montana, others flower later in the summer like the dark purple flowered JackManii. There are many other flower shapes and colours in between and even the plants come in different shapes and sizes from  rambling climbers to shrubs.

What you do need to know about them, and you get this information by knowing the variety name, is which pruning group they belong to - there are three of these. It isn't complicated once you know how it works, but if you prune your particluar plant in the wrong way or at the wrong time of year, it will probably not flower for you in the next season. ::)

I know they grow well in Glasgow, they were always a favourite in the garden at home and I've always had them in my own gardens since. :D

Edit to add...

RHS info. HERE

:)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:53 by argyllie »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:38 »
Just a word of caution from our experience -

Whatever you choose, be aware that the plant area will give significant wind resistance and so you need to check your arch is completely solid in the ground.

One of ours at the plot that had a magnificent rose on it blew over early this summer in a gale.

And in terms of what you could grow, how about a cordon apple tree shaped around each of the legs of the arch and across the top? Would look fabulous  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 15:11 »
I agree - make sure the frame is robust enough to bear the weight of the plants plus the effects of the winds. I live by the coast and have lots of winds that also carry salt, but hope you don't have that to contend with as well. Whatever you get, really prepare the ground well so as to give the plants a good root hold, plant fairly deeply unless instructed otherwise, and avoid the place where the arch legs are situated so you don't disturb its foundations. You may have to compromise on your ideal plants because of the devastating effects of winds on their leaves. I would suggest training either a Pyracantha, Cotoneaster or Escallonia - the first two have both flowers and berries, plus have mainly evergreen, leathery leaves which should be reasonably wind-resistant. Once you have them trained, you could inter-twine clematis or a short climbing rose for other colour, but honeysuckle would be too vigorous to plant with my first three suggestions. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowe1311

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 19:15 »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  My husband is sure that the arch is stable, but maybe it would be good to get something that isn't too vigorous.  You have given me lots of ideas.  I have a few apple trees nearby, but like the idea of more, and a cordon doesn't need lots of space.  An evergreen with a rose or clematis growing through it sounds good too. 

Will do some more research. 

Thank you

Angela

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 19:22 »
I have an appleblossom rose growing over an arch, which has covered side and top bushily in 3 years. Only flowers once late June and into July but it's glorious when it does and is pretty much evergreen. Has open style flowers and the bees seem to love it. It does get quite a bit of wind and still holds its flowers when wind blows!

xx
climber

Started by TINTIN on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 14:44
by unconcerned
xx
What climber?

Started by spencekelliem on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 13:04
by sion01
xx
Climber for a big gap!

Started by wneva on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 15:22
by Goosegirl
xx
climber or rambler

Started by brookegard on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 12:43
by ulsterfairy

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 34 queries.