Broody not eaten enough - should I bring her in tonight due to freezing temps

• 2 Replies

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
Despite doing all I can to break her broodiness my bantam is still clinging to the nest.  Tonight her crop doesn't feel very full at all despite my best efforts.  Should I bring her into the downstairs loo for the night as it's -2 now and predicted to be -7 ish.  I don't want her to succumb to the cold as she's only 7 months old. 

Will I be doing more long term harm than good if I do this?   Should I bring her mate in with her too and not separate them as I only have 2 bantams at the moment?

orchardlady

As long as her coop is well made she and her friend should be fine but you could place an old tarpaulin or even an old duvet over the coop but leave room for ventilation, however if you bring them in for the night it will do them no harm at all. Pop them in a cardboard box with good ventilation holes and some bedding in the bottom. Put them in a dark room they will be fine until the morning, you never know it might break the broodies broodieness!

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
Thank you.

Something has got to break her broodiness.  As neither are laying for 8 days now I have been keeping them in the run and her off the nest.  She seems fine all day long until I start to open the pop hole door.  She practically limbos through an inch gap and becomes totally broody broody broody  the instant her head is in the coop.  

Will put them in the cat basket and pop them into the house. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 18:47 by birmancats »

xx
Broody hen eaten egg??

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 17:00
by Prod
xx
Broody has eaten an egg!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 20:01
by bedifferent
xx
Concerned over broody hen. Eaten one of her eggs!!!!

Started by ScottBarton on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 11:03
by Sparkle
xx
Sub zero temps

Started by Nails on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 11:43
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 33 queries.