Broody hen eaten egg??

• 3 Replies

Prod

Broody hen eaten egg??
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:04 »
When I posted that I had rescued a pair of Bantam Brahmas (which turned out to be Buff Orpingtons) I wasnt exactly forthcoming....... I also rescued a broody, a white leghorn cross and 2 runner ducks!!!  :wub: :wub: :wub: Anyway as the BO's and the broody, who is a really pretty hybrid, seem to get  Ok I have kept them together.  One of the hens laid an egg yesterday  but when I went to check on everything this morning it had been eaten.  They are in the shed at the moment, separated from my other cockerel as they had a spat.  Could one of the hens have eaten it or poss mice????  I cant, and never have, seen mouse droppings in the shed.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Broody hen eaten egg??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 13:31 »
They usually eat the eggs if it gets damaged when laid or if it is a soft shelled egg.  Others will be egg eaters and I believe it is a really hard habit to get them out of.  It could be the broody does not want to come off the nest so thought she would help herself to a handy ready made meal.  Make sure she is off the nest to eat drink and poo at least once a day.

You will probably have mice but I don't think they would be the culprit.  Rats and magpies are more likely to eat hens eggs.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 16:15 »
is the broody sitting on eggs? I had one of mine break an egg the broody was on and put hers their instead.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 17:00 »
No  it was the first egg laid and I am not sure which hen laid it There was another yesterday, which I took away, and another today which I have left but neither he is sitting on it....

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.