buying spring bulbs

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

buying spring bulbs
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:48 »
did I hear rite when Monty said on G/W Friday there was going to be a shortage of spring bulbs this year because i.ve seen quite a number of bulbs for sale in many places

and we have recived some bulb catalogues with no limmited stock so is there going to be a suden rush for bulbs over the next few weeks should i go out and buy my bulds asap will there be people comming out of the garden centres this weekend with trollies full of bulbs?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: buying spring bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 12:07 »
I think there may be a shortage, Peter Nysson sold out of blue Anemone Blanda already - but has that just been made worse by Monty commenting on it?  ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 08:08 »
I went to Spalding auction house last week & there seemed plenty of bulbs but it was the first time I’d been so nothing to compare it with.
P.s anyone can go & Wednesday is auction day for the veg, that was well worth the visit, I felt very sorry for the growers, so little money for all their efforts
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:11 »
that's something  to think about snowdrops Spalding auctions yep definitely on my list o visit haven't been to Spalding for quite a time now my last visit was to the springfield centre never gave the auctions a thought till you mentioned it good idea soon as i start driving again we shall go

PS

could you give us a bit of info how the actions work do you have to register prior to bidding whats the format and advise much appreciated

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:36 »
I’ll start a new thread so I don’t side track this one

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 13:31 »
I think there may be a shortage, Peter Nysson sold out of blue Anemone Blanda already - but has that just been made worse by Monty commenting on it?  ::)

I think Monty was making   the point of the reality of the impact of this very dry summer.  Unfortunately some people see this as a dig at him , if he says nothing , why isn't he reporting it and when he does , that's wrong as well.

I asked about the impact of the weather  at our poultry feed supplier and they confirmed that price rises were possible and some supplies could be affected.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 14:08 »
I don't think we were implying he was wrong to talk about it - I just wondered if him doing so had, indeed, caused the already low stock levels, of some of the more popular bulbs - to be sold already?

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 09:04 »
since I started this topic I have visited several places selling bulbs and found no problems bulbs  of plenty

xx
Spring bulbs

Started by Bantymad on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 15:25
by Bantymad
xx
where to buy spring bulbs?

Started by rowe1311 on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post September 09, 2012, 13:12
by arugula
xx
Spring bulbs

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 22, 2010, 14:07
by Arbutus
xx
feeding spring bulbs

Started by loobs61 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 19:08
by bendipa

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.