Frog Habitat

• 6 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Frog Habitat
« on: February 12, 2019, 19:39 »
Hi,

Read that frogs are good for gardens as they think slugs are tasty...  Not sure if thats true, but thought i would give it a go and create a little home for them.

Nothing fancy, a plastic washing up bowl and an upside down clay pot.

ive also read that peas and ruhbarb are piosnous to frogs which is a shame as that is the area where i have ear marked for them.

Does anybody have this, does it work, does it really matter if i site close to ruhbarb and peas?

geordiekev

Re: Frog Habitat
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 21:05 »
I have two ponds in my allotment that i have made within the last 4 years. I deliberately sited them among my rather large rhubarb patch. The reason being that the rhubarb as it is growing provides both shade for my ponds and cover for the froglets as they migrate from their ponds. I can't really say that the rhubarb patch has had a negative impact on the wildlife ( I also have newts, toads and a few great crested newts)The frogs, toads, newts and great crested newts are an allotment holders best friends, but be careful and do not put slug pellets down. As long as there is cover you should be ok. Amphibians are carnivores so i do not understand how peas and rhubarb could harm them.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 21:42 »
I have a small plastic pond ready to put in too when I have time, also for frogs and newts which already inhabit a nearby water filled ditch. I've never heard of frogs, toads or newts being harmed by rhubarb or peas. As long as they have a bit of pondweed to hide under and a way of getting in and out I'm sure they'll be very happy!

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:01 »
thanks.  i'll crack on and build it.

Can anyone reccomend any flowers / non veg plants i can put around it, ideally ones that will last and not seed and spread too much?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 11:31 »
I've got some hardy geraniums around my wildlife pond - the low ground cover types.  Those are quite useful as they droop over the edges and into the water, giving cover and hiding places to the frogs, plus handy clambering out footholds.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 18:05 »
  If its a washing up bowl make sure there are some large stones in it so frogs can climb out as the sides will be very Skippy. Also you could have some baby birds trying to drink from it and drown. I lost 2 baby coal Titus at the same time. Tiny bodies . It was a tragedy i was so angry with myself. 

oldgrunge

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 20:39 »
I would make your pond deeper than a washing up bowl. Aim for something a couple of feet deep,as frogs, newts etc., need to hibernate. I made a pond with pond liner and is only a couple of feet in any direction. But ten years on there's frogs everywhere- and newts. Go for it they're wonderful to have around. Incidentally, I grow loads of peas, never heard of them harming amphibians.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

xx
Yay, I have a frog!

Started by Wombat18 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 19:20
by mrs.ploppy
xx
any frog experts? advice appreciated

Started by CJ on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 18:43
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 39 queries.