Pea Shoots- surprise

• 47 Replies

mobilekat

Pea Shoots- surprise
« on: June 15, 2010, 19:19 »
Having watched 'The Edible Garden' I was inspired to try growing pea shoots.

So found a spare pot (not many of them left this year), filled with compost, good layer of dried marrowfat peas (very very cheap), more compost and a splash of water.

About a week later I was staring at the pots in slight confusion, the compost was rising up...

The next day I twigged, as there were LOTS of peas all coming up together, rather than coming through the cheap compost they were lifting it like a roof! ::)

A good soaking with water, the compost broke down and up came the peas.

And a very tasty stir-fry they became. :)

Now there are little patches of peas planted everywhere, and my OH is concerned they make take over the place!!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

white westie

Re: Pea Shoots- surprise
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 22:34 »
Hi mobilekat,
What a brilliant idea im impressed,i have just started fruit and veg growing in my back garden,its my first year.I would love to give this a go,but were would i buy dried marrofat peas? :)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 22:39 »
Having watched 'The Edible Garden' I was inspired to try growing pea shoots.

So found a spare pot (not many of them left this year), filled with compost, good layer of dried marrowfat peas (very very cheap), more compost and a splash of water.

About a week later I was staring at the pots in slight confusion, the compost was rising up...

The next day I twigged, as there were LOTS of peas all coming up together, rather than coming through the cheap compost they were lifting it like a roof! ::)

A good soaking with water, the compost broke down and up came the peas.

And a very tasty stir-fry they became. :)

Now there are little patches of peas planted everywhere, and my OH is concerned they make take over the place!!

Sounds fantastic - you have inspired me to have a go!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

mobilekat

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 23:03 »
We got ours from the supermarket, think it was 40p for a big box- just don't plant the sodium bicarb tablet that is in the box, as it wont grow!

I have Batchelors Bigga dried peas - literally the ones you buy to cook up into mushy peas!

The amazing thing is there appears to be 100% germination- think I may get those peas to talk to the posh seeds that I have bought with a lower germination rate!

the great thing is you can plant loads as they are never going to grow up, so crowding is not an issue!

Good luck!

white westie

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 23:30 »
Hi mobilekat,
Thanx for the reply i shall be scouring the supermarket for some to try.lol
I  have done some early onward peas this year four different plantings and they have gone crazy,they have pods on them now.
I will give this a go and hope i get some sucess.
thanx again. :)

bigben

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19 »
Like you MK I also was inspired after watching the Edible Garden and spent less than a pound to get two packs of peas. They came up really well and the first tops were quite nice in salad but they are a bit tough now. I thought about using them next year to grow as full size peas. My early onwards did not do half as well as the Batchelors and because the batchelors are so cheap you can afford to sow them really thickly anyway.

Livinhope

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:31 »
I always used to grow the marrowfat packet peas from the supermarket, as you say they seem to have a 100% germination rate and they taste the same as any other pea.

purplebean

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:28 »
I did the same, sowed far too many and they all germinated! Haven't actually eaten many though as once I explained to my 6 year old son what they were he eats handfuls every time he is in the garden

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:35 »
I also found it amazing and so many grew that family are not treating with the same contempt as they do the glut of  they will be forced to eat later courgettes - am starting a new batch as big ben says they get a bit tough but the previous batch will make a good edition to the compost heap.

maverick

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:48 »
I too was inspired to try this after seeing the 'Edible Garden'. I found the germination rate to be excellent and they grow quickly. I grew a tray of them which lasted a few weeks by snipping off a handful at a time to add into homegrown salad leaves and herbs.

I emptied the dried tough bits the other night into the compost bin and sowed a new batch!

kari

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 14:40 »
i'm intrigued  :wub: i've just searched BBC Iplayer, but they are no longer showing this series, so i'll go do a youtube search see if I can find anything.   It sounds like a perfect project for the children to try
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

white westie

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 21:49 »
Hi mk
I went to the shops today and picked some up,planted them today another new project under way lol.I guess i just wait now and see what happens. :)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 22:14 »
This sounds like a really fun project for the kids in my daughter's class to try - will pass it on to the teacher. 
 :)

twiggy-pea-sticks

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 22:56 »
will have to have a go at this.  I bought a stir fry with pea shoots from a supermarket a few months ago and it was scrummy but pretty expensive, so growing my own would be fab.

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 23:50 »
Sorry, I did not see the programme and wondered at what stage do you pick them and eat them?

xx
Surprise PSB

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2013, 08:15
by Grubbypaws
xx
surprise surprise!

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 21:47
by 1st time veg grower
xx
an unexpected surprise!!

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 17:49
by JaK
xx
Celeriac surprise

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 18:16
by New shoot

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 32 queries.