How are your sweet corn doing so far?

• 57 Replies

seaside

Re: How are your sweet corn doing so far?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 22:03 »
I have two patches, both in exactly the same bed preparation ...ie.. covered and rotted down couch, bindweed, dandelion etc from the rest of the plot 2 years ago.  No other fertiliser in preparing the beds :-

Picture 1... Golden Bantam  sown in heated propagator 12 May   planted out 26 May

Picture 2... Incredible           sown in heated propagator 30 May   planted out 9 June

The GB is now very handsome and between 4 to 7 feet tall in front of the greenhouse and started tassles a week ago, and silks are now starting. The flower and pollen smell divine.
The Incredible at the back of the greenhouse are roughly 3 to 5 feet, but no tassles as yet ... a week away at least.

Looks like I have succeeded this year ( wind and pests apart ) in staggering the crop with the Incredibles consistently a couple of weeks behind. Should be plenty of time though and hopefully will give a longer harvest.

The interesting thing as can be seen in these two photos is the effect of 2 courgette plants planted on the margin of the Incredibles. The corn above the courgette is a foot or two smaller than the rest of the patch and has far lighter green foliage. Obviously the 2 courgettes are competing for nutrients.
sweet corn 1.jpg
sweet corn 2.jpg
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 22:10 by seaside »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2013, 08:40 »
Interesting observation Seaside - you probably could have compensated for the competition with extra food and water but it does illustrate why the "3 sisters" combination of sweet corn, climbing beans, and squashes doesn't seem to work very well in the UK, given that they have to put up with less than ideal weather as well as the competition from each other.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chillifandave

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 10:48 »
Sweetcorn doing well this year now standing a little over 6ft producing 2 cobs and swelling nicely,not bad for 39 p from Aldi :),planted out June 6th
corn1.jpg

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 11:16 »
I've got 2-3 cobs per plant (wheeeeeeeeeeeee!) but they are still very skinny.

Any tips on helping them along?

They had a comfrey/seaweed feed last night as a treat, and the bed had a bag of rotted manure added before they went in.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 11:22 »

are they pollinated cobs, or that's how many have grown on each plant?

It's common to get three cobs growing but only get one pollinated/edible cob per plant   ::) so I don't count them til I can eat them  :lol:

surbie100

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 11:31 »

are they pollinated cobs, or that's how many have grown on each plant?

It's common to get three cobs growing but only get one pollinated/edible cob per plant   ::) so I don't count them til I can eat them  :lol:

Oh. *cast down face*

I've never grown them before. They have huge amounts of foliage, should some of it be removed to help the pollen float down? And how can you tell if they are pollinated or not?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34 »
I have been known to cut off any leaves directly covering the silks, but that's because I'm obsessed with home-grown sweet corn (so it's OK!  :lol:)

surbie100

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36 »
Thanks - will arm myself with secateurs tonight!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44 »
If there is large flat leaf directly above a silk, I tend to bend it right down so the pollen can drift down to the cob, rather than cut them off ;)
The silks have been pollinated if they start to turn brown, but you can get cobs that are partially pollinated and look like this when you strip the leaves off

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 10:39 »
Dry with just a gentle breeze today, so after a few wet and windy days I'm hoping this will be the day a lot of the silks get pollinated, although some of my plants still don't have their first silks yet, never mind the 2 or 3 some folk are reporting.  :unsure:

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 10:45 »
Noticed a couple of silks on all but one of my swift, like you jay, hoping this dry spell, with a little added shake here and there gets them going  :)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

surbie100

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 11:00 »
I may have been a bit drastic with the secateurs this morning... ::) The plants look even more like they have alien antennae!

ghost61

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 18:03 »
Munching our way through the cobs now. We are amongst the first on site to have cobs ready. Mini ones yet to set, but are huge this year.

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Sweet Corn

Started by JimG on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 22:37
by compostqueen
xx
When to sow sweet corn?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 10:05
by prakash_mib
xx
sweet corn tip

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 12:10
by Chicken Pete

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 41 queries.