droopy tail?

• 7 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
droopy tail?
« on: July 13, 2011, 22:00 »
Browsing the poo ID thread earlier tonight after spotting a particularly messy example I spotted a reference to a droopy tail indicating a potentially sick bird. Coincidentally I've just seen one of mine that normally has a very perky tail wandering around with it lower than horizontal.

I'm sure I've got new parent syndrome however is a droopy tail a general symptom of a sick hen or a sign of anything specific and if so what else should I be looking out for. It's too dark now to go and look so will have to wait till morning before I can look again.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: droopy tail?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 22:45 »
Yes droopy tail can be a sign of a chook off colour - also looking hunched up, not eating/drinking or scratching around and busy as they normally are.

Give your chickens a thorough examination under the wings, legs and feet, and vent area for lice and mites.

Have they got runny noses/eyes or respiratory problems?

If it's just one chicken, is she at the bottom of the pecking order? Could she be bullied? Top hens will sometimes stop smaller ones from getting to feeders/drinkers - in which case put out a few more feeder/drinkers (I use marg tubs) for a few weeks until they settle.

Have they got plenty of room?

Moving to a new environment is stressful for chickens and they do sometimes become ill as a consequence. Come back if you find anything and need some suggestions.

scarymary

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 23:08 »
what breed is yours? I have a Poland who has had a 'wonky' tail since we had her! Her tail droops over to one side but always has done. Obviously just a quirk of the breed!

Scary

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:50 »
This one is a Cotswold Legbar and until yesterday had a very perky tail. I'm popping out in a minute to let them out so will see what she's looking like. ONly had her for a couple of weeks so still getting them used to handling so giving her the once ver will be entertaining for everyone!

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:20 »
Well she seems fine and perky this morning, is eating and no obvious other symptoms. Guess it's just tiredness and me being over cautious. I will keep an eye on her

Beano

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:37 »
That's good news. One of mine will get a bit of a droopy tail when she's ready to go in for the night. Could be the same thing with yours. Was it late in the day when you noticed the tail?
El.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:07 »
Was about 8.30 so could well have been tiredness. I took the dogs out for half an hour immediately after and they'd all put themselves to bed by the time I'd got back

scarymary

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 14:20 »
Glad she's ok today!

xx
Droopy tail feathers

Started by simbleby on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 14:56
by kensington chicks
xx
Droopy tail and lethargic

Started by susiesmith on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 12:41
by ANHBUC
xx
Another hen with a droopy bum

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 19:37
by Lost in France
xx
Droopy hen

Started by pandora on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 14:05
by pandora

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 33 queries.