poorly rose

• 6 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
poorly rose
« on: September 15, 2008, 16:04 »
My parents were given this rose from a reputable firm in the summer, and have planted it in their garden.

As you can see, it's a bit poorly.

There haven't previously been roses in the same spot (just a mahonia).   None of the other roses in the garden are showing similar symptoms.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what might be wrong / what might be done? (Other than burn it, if possible - it was a ruby wedding anniversary present).

Thanks
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 19:48 »
Hi yorkie.  I was studying your photo and did notice new growth.  The troiuble is that growers and then garden centres etc. grow them under very close conditions and everything that is about is spread from plant to plant and lies in the soil.
Its not very easy to grow roses these days, due to climate change, but my advice would be, to clear all the debris of dead and mancky leaves away and prune it now ( pruning depending on Hi-bred, Floribunder etc) and then spray rose with multi rose and then under into the ground with same.  (some use jeyes fluid, but I think thats too harsh).  Do not let any diseased leaves lie on the ground, because they have a habit of "going to earth" and will lie there till next spring.Mrs Bouquet
PS:  they will also need a good feed, because they will have been starved whilst maturing in the pots prior to your ownership.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 20:12 »
I have also noticed that it is planted with busy lizzie, which would indicate that (and it looks like the soil is quite moist)..  Can you tell me what is thesoil type.  ie: lime, etc  (Mind you who's soil isn't quite moist !!)  Mrs Bouquet

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
poorly rose
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 22:26 »
Thanks for your posts, Mrs B.

Point taken about clearing up the old leaves asap, I'd noticed that once looking properly at the photos.

I've no idea what the soil pH will be (neither will my dad!), sorry.  It will be fairly clay-ey, and yes it was fairly soggy on the day of the photo.  The bed is in the north garden, but as I say, other roses have flourished nearby.

I did wonder whether it might possibly be rose replant disease, as there was a large rose in a bed about 6' away until maybe 2-3 years ago.  Is that close enough for the new rose to be affected?  Although it doesn't really look like the photo on the RHS website.

Trillium

poorly rose
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:57 »
Normally roses can't be planted in the same hole as other roses unless all the soil is changed. Roses 6 ft away shouldn't be a problem, but quite possibly something in the mahonia roots could affect the roots.

You don't mention if the rose came in a pot or was a bare root.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 11:50 »
It should be alright on clay, better in fact than the lime where I live.  Like trillium says, other roses 6' away wouldn't cause rose sickness.  I think some of the marking is due to blackspot.  I am sure a good feed (try Toprose) and some tlc will perk it up and next year it will be a lovely plant.
Unfortunately good roses are fairly demanding but it will be worth it when you get those delicious flowers  
I have got some half open buds in my bedroom and the kitchen and the scent is amazing.
Good luck.  Mrs Bouquet.  Congrats to your parents by-the-way

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
poorly rose
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 11:54 »
Thanks again, Mrs B and Trillium.  The rose would have come in a pot, I'm sure.

I'll pass the info along to my parents.

xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
Which rose would you not be without?

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

39 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 08:56
by jaydig
xx
My Mum's Rose

Started by LilacSandy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 12:46
by tosca100
xx
The best rose

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2015, 11:58
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.