Horticultural sand?

• 6 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Horticultural sand?
« on: March 16, 2014, 14:23 »
What makes horticultural sand different from other sand?  Is it because it is free of salt/other minerals, or that it is finer/coarser?  I have bought it in the past, and mixed it with multi-purpose compost for potting on but as I live right on the coast I was wondering if it is possible to "make" my own?  If it's just a matter of washing the sand I can get from the beach, that would be great ..... does anyone know?

Goosegirl

Re: Horticultural sand?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 14:47 »
Unsure about this, but it may well be washed sand; however, the size of sand particles can vary. What you need it a coarse sand (usually combined with grit) to help with drainage. What you don't want is builders' sand which is far finer and can make drainage worse. From what I have read, using seaweed straight from the shore without washing the salt from it beforehand doesn't seem to cause any problems. Having said that, you need permission from the beach landowners before removing anything (see previous posts on this re- seaweed).
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 15:13 »
As far as I know horticultural sand is as near as makes no difference to sharp sand, except that it is guaranteed to be washed and therefore free from salt residues. The sharp sand I've bought from DIY stores has been labelled as 'washed,' and it's probably a good idea to make sure that any you may buy is too. It's much cheaper than horticultural sand bought in similar quantities.

The sand from your beach may be similar to sharp sand but equally may well be finer and therefore unsuitable - I'm not at all sure about the strict legal position, but I don't think you'd have to wait long for clarification if everyone suddenly started doing it!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 19:27 »
Thanks - you have both more or less confirmed what I thought - and that's a good point about the fine sand not being good for drainage.  Sand taken from "my" beach should be OK - the beach is directly outside the house at the back and is hardly used so the odd bucketful (if that) won't be a problem.  I shall investigate further.  If the sand is too fine, though, I will look at sharp sand as an alternative.  I did read somewhere that kiln dried sand is also good but I'm not sure what that is.

By the way, on the subject of seaweed, I take it from "my"  beach every year and I'm sure it's not a problem - there is soooo much of it,  my wheelbarrow-full hardly touches it.  I hadn't realised that taking things could be a problem in other areas.

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 19:43 »
I just did a search for 'river washed sand'  which I seem to remember buying from a nursery years ago... http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/gardening/articles/a/-/8100997/the-right-sand-for-the-job/

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 07:37 »
That's an interesting site.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:12 »
Thanks - you have both more or less confirmed what I thought - and that's a good point about the fine sand not being good for drainage.  Sand taken from "my" beach should be OK - the beach is directly outside the house at the back and is hardly used so the odd bucketful (if that) won't be a problem.  I shall investigate further.  If the sand is too fine, though, I will look at sharp sand as an alternative.  I did read somewhere that kiln dried sand is also good but I'm not sure what that is.

By the way, on the subject of seaweed, I take it from "my"  beach every year and I'm sure it's not a problem - there is soooo much of it,  my wheelbarrow-full hardly touches it.  I hadn't realised that taking things could be a problem in other areas.
If your own land ends where the beach starts, it should be ok to take the seaweed. If not, just check with the landowneras a precaution because any land abopve the high water mark belongs to them. I'm sure it will be ok in your case but possibly not in others.

xx
Lawn sand aka sand plus Ferrous Sulphate

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2021, 13:57
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Horticultural Grit

Started by Asherweef on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 17:56
by Asherweef
xx
PACKINGTON HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY

Started by PAUL PARRY on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 15:32
by PAUL PARRY
xx
where to find horticultural grit ?

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 13:32
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.