Can I put some more parsnips in?

• 5 Replies

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Can I put some more parsnips in?
« on: May 25, 2010, 22:40 »
My parsnips are way to close together which combined with a high germination rate means Im going to lose a lot through thinning. If i sow some more now will they have enough growing time. I dont want monsters just parsnips for Christmas dinner.
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I put some more parsnips in?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 22:46 »
It's pretty late for sowing parsnips but I've found that the thinnings transplant and grow just as well as the ones left in place.

Just take care to only transplant seedlings which have come out undamaged, and ease them gently into a hole large enough to accomodate the root without having to curl it up.

I've done this successfully for several years now.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 22:47 »
Excellent. Even better. Many thanks! Is it the case of the earlier the better?

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 22:48 »
It's pretty late for sowing parsnips but I've found that the thinnings transplant and grow just as well as the ones left in place.

Just take care to only transplant seedlings which have come out undamaged, and ease them gently into a hole large enough to accomodate the root without having to curl it up.

I've done this successfully for several years now.
Oh blast.  I threw away my thinnings this weekend... I could have used them.  :tongue2:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 23:11 »
Excellent. Even better. Many thanks! Is it the case of the earlier the better?

Within reason!

I transplant mine when their first true leaves are properly established; the longer you leave them the longer the roots will have grown and the greater the disturbance.
They come out quite easily if you water them first, just ease them out using a small trowel or similar tool and make sure you handle them by their leaves and don't try to yank them out holding the stem!

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 00:03 »
Hello Skywalker.    (Best name on the forum by a country mile. Can't believe that I didn't think of that.)

I've planted parsnips direct (no germinating) in early July.  I don't like to grow foot long four pound monsters either so as long as you are prepared for smaller crops, and a few that are really only good for soup, you can squeeze in another line in the next five weeks or so.

I still haven't planted mine, but I'll be picking beauties until Feb or March next year Guaranteed.  However, I'm just north of the Thames in Essex and I have lovely soft sandy free draining soil.  It's full of carrot fly larvae, but it is lovely!
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2017, 19:59
by Mr Dog
xx
parsnips

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 22:11
by Teen76
xx
parsnips

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 11:46
by DD.

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 39 queries.