Potting on plugs

• 7 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Potting on plugs
« on: May 10, 2014, 13:35 »
My wife has ordered lots of plug plants for hanging baskets - they have arrived and are small plug plants - around two inches tall. They are all lobellia and such like.
My question is, would it be ok to plant them directly into the hanging baskets and put the baskets into the greenhouse rather than potting on?
Thanks in advance
Phil

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Potting on plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 13:37 »
I guess so - the most important thing will be protecting them from frost.  Don't overfill the basket with plants!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 14:19 »
Thanks we'll bear that in mind :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 14:32 »
At this time in the year, planting them directly into the baskets is a good idea tbh, as then they can bulk up a bit before you harden them off and then hang them in their final position
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 17:00 »
There is the other point of view which says potting them up into 7cm pots gives them the chance to get established before you make up the hanging baskets. It depends whether you've got enough pots & compost. You're also less likely to overfill the baskets because the plants will be slightly bigger when you put them in.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 17:34 »
True  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 12:39 »
I have this problem every year with the plants that I want lower down the hanging basket because, if I plant them in the basket to establish them before hardening off, it is easier to get the smaller growth (either the plant or its root ball) through the basket sides, but they do seem to grow into better plants by potting on; then you have the difficulty of getting the increased growth (or root ball) through the basket sides. My baskets are metal with small divisions down the sides. Oooh - just had a "light bulb" moment and am going to give it a go!  :tongue2: Use a small square pot, but divide it in half with, say, a flat piece from a plastic milk carton cut off to the same width and length. Fill both sides with some compost and plant two plugs - one on either side. When you're ready to plant your basket, you will have a flatter root ball that will be easier to insert in the side. Whatever you do, ensure you gently tease out the rootball so the roots will be better able to grow out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 19:29 »
I was taught a trick to help plant up the lower parts of baskets - to wrap the leaves in a small piece of newspaper or similar, and then thread them through the basket from the inside.  The leaves should be OK, and saves squashing the compost ball if threading through from the outside.

clip
Any hope for these plugs?

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 21:34
by Maarten
xx
Lavender plugs

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2022, 20:05
by New shoot
xx
seeds or plugs

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2018, 14:51
by rowlandwells
xx
Post-plugs

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 08:45
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 38 queries.