ants

• 6 Replies

annie2006

ants
« on: March 26, 2009, 16:29 »
hiya,

ive had my new allotment a couple of weeks now and it was mainly grass when i started. ive now been digging the grass out and preparing beds, and up to press i have found 4 ants nests in the soil. i have left them alone at present, but im just wondering if ive done the right thing.
are they a pest or going to be a help to me? thanks :)

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Re: ants
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 16:38 »
 I'm no expert but I think ants in relatively small numbers dont really pose a threat, but large numbers as in nests full could cause you problems. They 'farm' aphids, and aphids cause all sorts of problems.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 18:11 »
If I have any left after I finish clearing my plot I want to try Bob Flowerdew's trick of feeding jam to the ants so that they eat the aphids (for the protein) rather than farming them (for sugar).  ;) :ohmy:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

annie2006

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:56 »
sounds a clever idea woodburner. u will have to let us know how it goes!

well think i will just leave them alone for now as the nests are pretty small as yet. thanks for the replies.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 15:12 »
I had the same and there is bit more on this in the post 'Ants in the bed' - I tried to link it below but can't be sure it will work:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32705.msg391130#msg391130

...if not then it is about 5 pages back at this point.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 15:57 »
If I have any left after I finish clearing my plot I want to try Bob Flowerdew's trick of feeding jam to the ants so that they eat the aphids (for the protein) rather than farming them (for sugar).  ;) :ohmy:

That's an interesting idea!  Do you just leave jam dotted about in conspicuous places near where the ants hang out?  Maybe a little "Hey ants! Jam Happy Hour Here!" sign..? :) Sorry...its been a long week....
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 17:59 »

That's an interesting idea!  Do you just leave jam dotted about in conspicuous places near where the ants hang out?  Maybe a little "Hey ants! Jam Happy Hour Here!" sign..? :) Sorry...its been a long week....
Hmm ants on a sugar high . . .   ::) :lol:
Bob dotted the jam on the leaf axils, but I expect anywhere in the vincinity would work, as long as the rain doesn't wash it off straight away.

xx
Red Ants???

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 18:34
by oakfairy
question
Help, ants!!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 21:59
by Pretty Chick
clip
ANTS

Started by Justniv on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2015, 14:03
by Justniv
xx
Ants

Started by Feeb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:31
by beansticks

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 40 queries.