Leaves going white and crispy on Bean Plants

• 8 Replies

noidea

Leaves going white and crispy on Bean Plants
« on: March 26, 2009, 19:23 »
Hello all.

I never seem to have much luck with beans and peas, I know they are supposed to be easy, I have good success in getting them from seed to seedling to mini plant but as soon as bigger leaves start growing they seem to die around the edges and go white, almost as if they are drying out. I moved this years early ones to the green house last week and i have noticed this happening again? I am certain there must be an easy solution....any ideas?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Leaves going white and crispy on Bean Plants
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 19:31 »
Peas certainly do NOT want to be in a greenhouse. They need to be in the cooler outside temperatures.

Sounds like you've cooked the poor things. What sort of beans are they?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

noidea

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 20:08 »
Peas certainly do NOT want to be in a greenhouse. They need to be in the cooler outside temperatures.

Sounds like you've cooked the poor things. What sort of beans are they?

>:( Ok i'll blame the Mother in law for that then....I have Blue Lake Climbing French and tendergreen Dwarf french beans at the moment the runners will be coming through soon too

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 20:20 »
French can go direct into the ground at the earliest mid-april but dependant on where you are leave it till may. They are very susceptible to frost, so please dont put yours out to early and dont forget to harden them off before they brave the wild new world  :D.  I love french beans nearly as much as peas, (I said nearly DD  :D )
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 20:39 »
It is too early for french beans or runner beans where I am in the midlands. I don't put mine in until May in the greenhouse and then harden them off and plant them out in early June. Yours have probably been cought by frost.
I have some 'early onward' peas coming up on the allotment now. They look OK. I pre germinate them so that they come up before the mice get them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 20:40 »
Sorry to be blunt, but you're way too early. I won't start my beans until mid April. No way can you put them out until frosts have past, we have a good one at the end of May last year, so it's another 2 months before you dare put these outside.

noidea

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 21:00 »
ok, I was just going by the sowing instructions on the pack which say they can be done from mid Feb in the green house. Doesn't matter I have plenty more to sow I will see how they get on

Stripey_cat

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:30 »
It could be sun-scorching, especially if the glass is wet (basically water drops can act like lenses, so you get focussed pinpricks of light from rained-on or fogged glass).  If that's so, try shielding the plants with a bit of fleece (or slap some whitewash on the greenhouse panes).  You can grow summer beans entirely undercover, for early crops, so you should be able to keep the greenhouse to suit them. 

Are you ventilating the house during the day?  My mother's has been getting well up into the thirties (she's not got anything in one of them, and is deliberately letting it heat up to
warm the soil) with the windows closed, which is too hot for most things.

Also, they're quite greedy for water, so you need to keep their feet wet, especially if they're on the staging with the soil in the sun.

noidea

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 15:50 »
Hi.

Good point about the scorching, I am a novice at growning things and remember hearing about that before. With the showers and bright sun withing ten minutes that we have been getting the last few days this would make sense. I've been keeping an eye on the temp in the GH and the max it has been at is 24 and it usually hovers around 18-22. I do have windows in it but never really know when to open them.

xx
Yellow patches / 'crispy' leaves on Cucumber plants

Started by SweetPea on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2006, 11:08
by Heather_S
xx
Bean leaves going white

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 23:25
by gowing238
xx
Tomato plants with dry white leaves.

Started by Ivor Backache on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:48
by Jay Dubya
clip
Help me my bean plants are turning yellowish white...why?

Started by anniebody on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 18:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 35 queries.