ants

• 6 Replies

annie2006

ants
« on: March 26, 2009, 16:29 »
hiya,

ive had my new allotment a couple of weeks now and it was mainly grass when i started. ive now been digging the grass out and preparing beds, and up to press i have found 4 ants nests in the soil. i have left them alone at present, but im just wondering if ive done the right thing.
are they a pest or going to be a help to me? thanks :)

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Re: ants
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 16:38 »
 I'm no expert but I think ants in relatively small numbers dont really pose a threat, but large numbers as in nests full could cause you problems. They 'farm' aphids, and aphids cause all sorts of problems.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 18:11 »
If I have any left after I finish clearing my plot I want to try Bob Flowerdew's trick of feeding jam to the ants so that they eat the aphids (for the protein) rather than farming them (for sugar).  ;) :ohmy:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

annie2006

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:56 »
sounds a clever idea woodburner. u will have to let us know how it goes!

well think i will just leave them alone for now as the nests are pretty small as yet. thanks for the replies.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 15:12 »
I had the same and there is bit more on this in the post 'Ants in the bed' - I tried to link it below but can't be sure it will work:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32705.msg391130#msg391130

...if not then it is about 5 pages back at this point.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 15:57 »
If I have any left after I finish clearing my plot I want to try Bob Flowerdew's trick of feeding jam to the ants so that they eat the aphids (for the protein) rather than farming them (for sugar).  ;) :ohmy:

That's an interesting idea!  Do you just leave jam dotted about in conspicuous places near where the ants hang out?  Maybe a little "Hey ants! Jam Happy Hour Here!" sign..? :) Sorry...its been a long week....
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 17:59 »

That's an interesting idea!  Do you just leave jam dotted about in conspicuous places near where the ants hang out?  Maybe a little "Hey ants! Jam Happy Hour Here!" sign..? :) Sorry...its been a long week....
Hmm ants on a sugar high . . .   ::) :lol:
Bob dotted the jam on the leaf axils, but I expect anywhere in the vincinity would work, as long as the rain doesn't wash it off straight away.

xx
Ants, how to get rid?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 19:15
by kegs
xx
ANTS!!!!

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 14:54
by LittleRedHen
xx
Do you think it's ants?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 23, 2020, 03:47
by Subversive_plot
xx
Ants

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 23:34
by Brambles

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 35 queries.