Gutted and as mad as heck

• 9 Replies

Casey76

Gutted and as mad as heck
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:33 »
Got home last night to find my lovely new border dug up and all my nice new mulch all over my grass  :mad:

One of the hens had some how got over the fence and then couldn't get back so had a field day killing all my nice new bedding plants.  :mad: :mad: :dry:

Today, both escapee hens are locked in the small hen house to encourage them to lay in a new nest box (rather than in a trug in the woodstore - which is on the wrong side of the fence).

Tonight I'm going to increase the height of the fence by adding a chicken wire layer (and hope my climbers grow quickly to cover it!), and if that doesn't work I'll be clipping a wing each.  :dry:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving

dizzylizzie

Re: Gutted and as mad as heck
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 19:49 »
Im trying to hide my laughter too- sorry :D

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 21:17 »
I know it must have been awful to find all that ruin.  Your hens were only doing what comes naturally.  They weren't being naughty. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:17 »
Believe me, when I came home last night, and once again saw the ruin of 6 hours hard work, and the destruction of my (not inexpensive) bedding plants for the second time in 2 days I immediately thought that I'd be having chicken curry for the next week.

Having said that... after turning the air blue (again  :nowink: ) the offending chooks had a wing clipped and were carried around by me for about half an hour.

This morning I clipped a wing each of the other two, and all 4 are confined to the new house today.

I didn't get home last night until almost 9pm, so didn't have time to alter the fence, but it is my highest priority - when I get a free 5 minutes!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 13:50 »
Makes me realise, and be thankful for, the benefits of a roof over the run!  The only risk I have is them digging their way out.  So far the fox defenses have them flumoxed, but I think it's only a matter of time :lol:

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 14:24 »
My broody with chicks, or rather the chicks themselves hate beng penned in, so I let them out as much as possible, and while I keep checking on them, I am sure the mum is responsible for the digging up of my no-dig potatoes. They're never actually on the potato patch when I check on them though!

I'm actually doing an exclusion check atm, they are shut in now, so if I find the tatties are all over the place again, it must be the pigeons/doves or the blackbirds. My money is on them still being in nice rows though. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 15:24 »
I've just lsot all my pea seedlings, a row of beetroot and a row of radishes to a duck break in!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 15:41 »
wonder if they had masks and a swag bag  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

cheriton

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 18:58 »
sorry kate   :ohmy: but joyfull that was so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
flippin gutted

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 20:13
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 30 queries.