One Hen

• 6 Replies

dugless

One Hen
« on: May 02, 2011, 20:12 »
In 2009 I obtained four ex bats, I am now down to one, the reason I am posting is she stopped laying for three months this winter, when she started again the distance between laying and having a day off got longer,  now she has laid 29 eggs on the trot. I  am surprised as I though the laid for about four to five days then have a break. I suppose the next time she stops will be the last eggs we get.
I do not mind as she has become quite a character.

Dugless
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

bantam novice

Re: One Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 20:15 »
Hello Dugless,
How long has she been on her own?  Had you considered getting her some companions?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 20:47 »
Hiya Dugless. Its not advisable to keep one hen by herself, she'll get very lonely without companions. Would you consider getting a couple more to keep her company? They are happiest when in a flock of 3 or more.
As for the egg laying, well done Mrs Chicken!! Especially as she's already laid more eggs in her life than most chickens will ever lay. Amazing things arent they Ex-batts, I adore mine :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

dugless

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 21:12 »
Hiya Dugless. Its not advisable to keep one hen by herself, she'll get very lonely without companions. Would you consider getting a couple more to keep her company? They are happiest when in a flock of 3 or more.
As for the egg laying, well done Mrs Chicken!! Especially as she's already laid more eggs in her life than most chickens will ever lay. Amazing things arent they Ex-batts, I adore mine :)
She has been on her own since September last year though we do have two mallards and several pheasants visiting from time to time. I caravan a lot  and have to rely on my son or neighbour so am reluctant to go for any more, though I think I might have given my neighbour the bug if he gets some then I will think again
 Just for interest since she has been on her own she stopped laying in November  then started again in January total eggs since then 88

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:35 »
Please consider getting at least two more hens for her.  Hens are flock birds and need other companions.  If you ever sit and listen to your hens, they talk constantly to each other.  This poor little girl is probably talking to herself! ;)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

dugless

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 20:07 »
Please consider getting at least two more hens for her.  Hens are flock birds and need other companions.  If you ever sit and listen to your hens, they talk constantly to each other.  This poor little girl is probably talking to herself! ;)

She cannot be that unhappy or we would not get the amount of eggs we get. I have a very large garden and when I am out in it  I let her out of her compound ( which is an orchard) and keep her amused getting the worms and Beatles I dig up. like I have already said I will decide on more hens depending on whether or not my Neighbour starts to keep hens. after all she is at least four and half years old  so I do not think she will be with us for too much longer 

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 21:01 »
If she is that age and obviously very happy I don't think I would bother getting anymore because when she goes you would have to get more to keep the others company and then IF you neighbour gets some you would have to get more than him  :lol:  :lol:

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 34 queries.