Parsnip storage ?

• 2 Replies

8doubles

Parsnip storage ?
« on: October 11, 2018, 20:54 »
Any ideas how to get one crop of parsnip to last over two years like the bloke in the annoying tv advert ? ;)

jaydig

Re: Parsnip storage ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 09:16 »
Not a problem for me this year as my parsnips failed almost totally.  The entire crop only amounts to about six parsnips despite sowing about four times.
Last year, however, I had quite a glut, so I peeled and cut up the parsnips, blanched them in boiling, salted water for  two or three minutes then took them out and drained them.  While they were still warmish I either tossed them in cooking oil or on some of them I used the spray oils , and then when they were quite cold I open froze them on trays in the freezer, then stored in the freezer packed into bags.  I am using these this year, and they are perfectly fine for roasting. You wouldn't know the difference between these and fresh ones.

DanielCoffey

Re: Parsnip storage ?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 21:29 »
Could you use a sand clamp?

One homesteading site recommended a 5-gallon bucket and soft, dry sand. Brush most dirt off the root veg. Place a layer of sand in the bucket, place the veg not touching each other on that layer. Cover with dry sand, repeat in layers till bucket full. Cover. Store in outbuilding but protect from excessive freezing. Should be good to -10C night time temp at least.

At the end when you have completely emptied the bucket they said to use a soil sieve to get all bits of veg out then dry it thoroughly ready for next season.

xx
Storage

Started by Tykelad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 19:24
by lincolnlad
question
How much storage?

Started by Goldfinger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 05:49
by Goldfinger
xx
Shallots storage....

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2015, 07:24
by New shoot
xx
Onion storage

Started by zestymordant on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 13:38
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 38 queries.